The reason that the industry has moved surrounds forwards is simple, we now have 4 instead of 2. You can experiment yourself but if you want the closest to perfection the industry standards are usually the best options because they have actually researched different placement options and understand how movies are recorded and mixed accordingly.
As most people don't have RTA (Real Time Analysis) they just guess as to what sounds the best.
I personally use the THX recommendations along with Audyssey and then my RTA and SPL meter to fine tune my system.

However if you own a set of QS's then your Speaker Placement can have a lot more wiggle room than Direct Radiating options which are quickly becoming more scarce in a Home Theater Surround capacity.

Follow the advice from the professionals it's your best option if your new and ignorant to how Acoustics work and don't have an RTA set-up. This is the best advice anyone can give to a newbie. Which is use Diffused Speakers over Direct for surrounds specifically and mount them all 2'-3'feet above the listener.

So here's the Industry's answer to Blastermaster Original Question and Forum Discussion: "I am wondering if anyone can chime in as to whether or not it would be better to get direct firing bookshelf speakers for the rear or would it be better to get another pair of QS8s (or even just one)? "

Last edited by AlaskanAVGuy; 04/07/14 09:11 PM.

The Teacher is in: Trust but Verify