I knew I never had a great system, but the combination I had, there wasn't really any music that didn't sound pretty good.

Why change a good thing, well in hopes to get something that sounds exceptional. So I upgraded just about everything. The new Axiom M80 speakers running of an Anthem MCA 5 amp.

Yes there are some albums that simply just shine.

But I put in my Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-1971 and queued up track 6 to get off my cloud. It sounded simply empty and lacking the emotion that I remember. The bass was really thin, without any depth. there was no emersive sound stage.

What is there something wrong with my speakers. So I called up the Ramones and track 9 Blitzkrieg Bop. Again, it was as if something was missing.

OK. Lets try Queen, track 6 Fat Bottomed Girls. Boom, the room jumped back to life with depth and feeling. The drums sounded like they were in the corner and if you reached out you could touch them. The guitar gave off the re-verb feeling as it filled in around me.

I remember a conversation with a friend about old recordings and his take was quite a bit of the older vintage recordings were never done to the same standard as the late 70's onwards as the hifi's of the era just could not reproduce it so it didn't make it to the master tape in the same quality.

Is it just me, or are there other albums that seem to under whelm when played back on a higher end system?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5