casey01, you can play both music & movies plenty loud without coming close to overdriving the speakers, but you mentioned a 60 Hz crossover and so presumably you are running the center channel as "small".

Do you think that would still be the case if you set the center channel to "large" as Brendan wants to do ? If not, then at first glance his idea of upgrading to an HP version of the VP180 seems to make sense, although I think everyone here has an uneasy feeling that amplifier power is going to be a factor real soon if it is not already.

A separate question is whether upgrading the center channel in order to be able to run it "large" is worth it. Here I have mixed feelings -- I'm a huge fan (no fat jokes please) of running music speakers full range rather than depending on a sub, but on the other hand I'm not totally sold on multichannel music systems yet and tend to prefer 2.0 playback rather than using a DSP to synthesize additional channels from a 2.0 source.

That said, I admit to being woefully out of touch w.r.t. availability of good multichannel music recordings. IIRC I have two SACDs -- one Joni Mitchell which I can't find (and don't remember enjoying as much as a stereo recording when I played it) and one PF DSOTM which has 2.0 tracks and lives in the CD carousel.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8