After 5 years my etymotic hf5's finally but the dust (ok I lost them, but the cable was getting frayed). I ended up with the shure se215 IEMs. So far I think the sound ok... Good bass, almost over emphasized a little. Mids are pretty good but highs are too recessed for my liking. Overall they aren't bad, and will serve the purpose of excellent isolation and decent sound at gym and mowing lawn etc. I mostly stream soundcloud or Amazon music on demand for those situations anyway. I like that they don't stick out from the ears, as this seems to make them more isolating when jogging in the wind (ety's had a little wind noise). The shires have less cable noise too. I find myself missing the more neutral sound of ety's, but the hf5s had pretty lousy bass. Anyway, I won't be returning them but not sure if they are worth $100.

I also needed a pair of mobile over the ears. I ended up with. Pair of sennheiser momentum, refurbished from sennheiser for only $99. I've only spent an hour or so with them but really like them. I think they will work great for ipod use, during travel, and at work from laptop. Initial Impressionz are good, especially for the price!

I'll be on the search for some new excellent reference headphones for home or office use in the future for under $500, but for my need for mobile headphones both pairs seem to serve the intended purpose.

-David