Originally Posted By: TroyD
Thanks Alan .... yes, it can be confusing. Alto of this is confusing wink
I think I hear much then same way as SKINS does.

Here's what I get from this all is that, if we're doing this audessy, or manually setup. If we are setting our Mains and centres to small and cross overs at 80hz, then most of the 80hz and below is going to the subs. SO, if the VP150 sensitivity is down to 80hz, really what are you guys hearing below 80hz in the centre's ? given, that no sound below 80hz is even going that way. What I get from everyone is that the larger boxes are better for bottom end sound. Does, the size of the cabinet effect much of the sound between 100hz - 2k ?
The vp150 seems pretty well flat, there using the exact same drivers the vp180 is using.
I guess the only difference would be the croosover point at 150hz, in that the vp180 would be using the 6.5" drivers and most likely this is where most of the difference lies

Well, it is important to remember that with any crossover setting(in this case the example of 80HZ, 150HZ would be too high), it is not a sudden cut below that frequency but a gradual roll-off so when available, especially at higher volumes, one could still hear those frequencies below 80HZ with the 180. Also, given the size of the cabinet itself and all that extra air moving around, other than the tweeter, it will affect the performance of all the other speakers and ultimately their frequency response and output. One good experiment to try is with the VP180 or even the 160, listen to a male human voice that is reasonably deep first with the crossover on and then off. Even with only a human voice, it will be subtle, but with the crossover disengaged and the speaker in "full range" mode, you will hear a slight further bass extension of that voice. Ultimately, from my own experience, especially experimenting with many types and sizes of speakers, no matter the set-up, a full range speaker like the VP180 is going to give you a more "natural" type sound across the entire frequency range. Because of space limitations, small centers have always been a design compromise that have the habit of providing an unusual and unnatural extra bump, especially in the 300-500HZ range, which primarily because of their cabinet and driver size limitations is almost impossible to smooth out. The sound of the VP150 I owned also was much more affected by placement than the larger 180.

I, personally, have my VP180 set to a 60HZ crossover which diverts the deepest bass to the subs, yet, with the gradual roll off below that setting, it still gives me pretty much the entire frequency range capabilities of the speaker.

Last edited by casey01; 03/22/15 06:46 PM.