Originally Posted By: alan
"I think the real difference would be in the speakers sensitivity levels. If the VP180 is 93db and the VP150 was 90db then I guess the VP180 would be double the volume level. They said every 3bd is double the volume. However, that said they say to get dbl the volume you need twice the wattage. So, if the 180 is 4ohms and the 150 6 ohms then the wattage is not going to double. The 180 should be a tad louder."

Hi TroyD,

You are misunderstanding the decibel and its relationship to power in watts and perceived loudness level. It's very confusing to newcomers and longtime enthusiasts alike. A 3-dB difference in sensitivity would be perceived as only "slightly louder", and would require twice as much power.

To actually double the perceived loudness of a speaker requires ten times as much power, not twice as much. It's a logarithmic relationship.

If you double the power in watts going to a speaker, the loudness of the speaker to our ears increases by only 3 dB, or "slightly louder."

A 1-dB difference is the smallest step or change in loudness that humans can detect. Smaller differences in loudness may not be detectable, but in listening tests, most people hear the ever-so-slightly louder speaker as sounding "better," which is why in A/B speaker tests between two speakers, the loudness levels must be matched to a fraction of a decibel.

Incidentally, skins, when I did careful double-blind tests at Axiom of the prototype vp180 center to the vp150, I found the vp180 to be dramatically better and less coloured than the vp150. I praised the vp180 center as sounding essentially as good as what turned out to be the M80v3. So I suspect that the slight level differences in your comparisons at home are leading you to incorrect conclusions.

Regards,
Alan

Haven't had anytime this weekend but did do some quick measurements using pink noise and RS SPL meter.......and just about every spot in theatre section measured up to 3db louder in the 150 ?.........
No seat favoured the 180 ,but MLP was close at -1db... I would have thought 4ohms played louder than 6 ohms.....
Don't now much about sensitivity levels but I guess that why I am having a harder time deciding on which one sounds better ( plus 3 WOW)
Like I said earlier XOVERS at 60 hz for fronts and differences I hear are subtle with 180 sometimes sounding more laid back and natural .
one of my subs is pretty close to center( next to it in fact...inside front towers, which is also making it more difficult to hear a noticeable upgrade)
The 150 sometimes sounds better being a little clearer and more forward( your term I believe was colourful )
And sometimes this gets the 150 into trouble as well

i think I am going to take another owners advice and unplug the 150 for about a week and then retest ( I have owned the 150 for about 12 plus years now, and my ears are used to that sound)
Anyone know a quicker way to match DB without going into Avr menu?
And everyone I truly appreciate all the input

denon 991 /M80's /vp150 & 180 /4x QS8's
Velodyne 15"/ Dbox 12"
ps4 benq w1070 -grand view 106" FF