For anyone who is into this quirky pastime, this is an excellent, 'must watch' video that explains so much from 'The Guru' himself. It is not overly technical so even I can understand it all. It surmises why there is so much heated opinion & BS out there, especially on some forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM

Ian wholeheartedly recommends it & summarized the content to me:

Great video. It covers exactly what matters to what we hear and how to make a great sounding speaker. The salient points:

• Listen testing must be done blind.
• The frequency response, as measured all-round the speaker in an anechoic chamber, are what tells us how a speaker will perform in a blind listening test.
• This cannot be accomplished without a proper laboratory to do it in.
• Audible resonances are visible in the anechoic amplitude response graphs.
• Consistency of one speaker to the next in the manufacturing process is critical and rarely done.
• Room correction algorithms will not correct a bad speaker design. They can ruin a good one though.

This kinda dispels some of the 'Myths' that have been spouted in articles elsewhere. One 'Myth' pooh-poohed the notion that a manufacturer having a sophisticated anechoic chamber was advantageous to properly designing speakers. This is laughable. The clear advantage to having this essential equipment is repeatedly reinforced throughout this talk.

From what I gleaned from the video, I am now rethinking my use of Audyssey correction in my HT. Interestingly, Axiom has not recommended room correction EQ use as well...

TAM