Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
So why is it BS, Matt? Because compression will negate the benefit of the new capture/reproduction technologies?

I am saying it is sort of BS right now as what they are selling if more of a false bill of goods. I don't know the spec for the new Blu-Ray drive, but I don't imagine that it is a quantum leap forward in speed. If you look at the current blu-ray drive data rates, they are significantly less than a computer Hard Drive.

Even an SSD that is your current pinnacle of speed is rated at 650Mb/s. The numbers I gave are just for the video.. you need to account for audio componant as well, so the amount of data needed for your video + going with the latest DD-HD-Atmos, you are going to need to read the data is quite a compressed format then expand it for viewing.

The selling points are that you can get 4K video with 10 bit colour. But what I am saying is that I am very doubtful that current technology can deliver that all the time. Even on todays blu-ray's the amount of video blur and post production compression is horrible. I have friends who own a movie theater with the digital camera's. The units cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. The movies are stored on multi disk raid arrays with with large SSD style buffers to play the movies on. They also are not playing at 4K resolution, rather the same 2k that your Blu-Ray is playing at. First hand I have seen how what is on the source is different than what is sold on your blu-ray. So compression is a definite factor. Move to 4K and it's just going to get worse.

Quote:
Netflix or any content streaming don't belong in the same sentance as quality. The method users choose to conume content is not a failure of the parent technology.

I just named Netflix as it's an easy example of how the same technology can be pushed beyond it's ability to deliver. I realize that Netflix does not have nearly the same amount of bandwidth that is available on a blu-ray, but you can and do get the same results when trying to push too much data through a small pipe. The only way for it to work is to compress and sometimes that means lossy.

Quote:
Its like saying high quality audio is BS because top 40 pop music is popular.

It sounds like BT2020/HDR/8K/48fps will eventually be standard capture. You may wanna check out Joe Kane's recent appearance on HTGeeks. smile New video standards and tech are a busy topic these days. Easier to be an audiophile for the moment. Lol.

No, it's like saying that MP3 files don't sound as good at WAV.. But some will say that MP3-320kbs does get close. But try as you may, i don't think that MP3 will work with 24bit192Hz recordings.

Yes, they are trying to up the spec to 8K now. Consider that 2K was dreamed up in the mid 1980's, and how long did it take to reach a real consumer market?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5