I had a friend in photography school who was involved in Rally racing in his GTI. He loved driving other cars for the experience, so we frequently traded off with my Datsun 210 econobox (1.2 liter engine).

A year after photography school, I was in the market for a car and found a fantastic 4-yo GTI. Ironically, it was at a Cadillac dealership. I test drove it, but the oil light came on. The dealer's service department checked it out and told me at the end of the day it was the sending unit; they ordered one.

The next day, with it spelled out that they will replace the sending unit at N/C when it arrived, I bought the car on my lunch hour and drove it the 1/4 mile to where I was working at the time.

After work that day, as I was heading home 5-6 miles from work but only a couple of miles from home, the engine seized in the left lane. I coasted into the center median, walked home, called them, and told them where they could pick up THEIR car.

The next day, they offered to put in a new engine if I wanted the car, but I didn't trust the Cadillac mechanics to know their way around a VW at that point.

For a few hours, though, I owned something more than utilitarian.

I bought a new 1988 Pontiac LeMans;

I shoulda tried the repaired GTI. frown

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::