Originally Posted By Stilljoe
Class D amps; I know there are different opinions, and different implementations, but (ahem) Axiom uses them...

I think the biggest issue that, at least I have with them owning a 2013 Pioneer Elite receiver that brags at 120w, is the method they use to come up with those numbers. Now on the latest versions they also give a number for the total number of watts possible for the unit, but start to divide that out to all the channels and it will fall short. I understand that as surround speakers really don't need huge watt numbers if set to small and not played loud. Yet, it seems the receivers are not really designed well to work with Axioms (or anyones) 4ohm speakers. I doubt that there is anything near doubling down from 8ohm to 4ohm. The manual on my receiver says it is 4ohm compatible but I wonder.

There is the blind listening side that people hear what they thing they should. Well, when I got my first Axiom speakers I hooked them up to an old 60watt amp and was blown away at how they sounded. After listening to them for a bit, I figured it would be worth while plugging the speakers into the newer (and at the time I thought better) Pioneer SC amp. The sound dynamics diminished even though it's on paper a higher rated amp. I saw the same thing on my LFR's when I went from a high quality 250w amp to a lower powered 120w amp. There just is not the physical real current in the amp to drive the speakers.

Not to say that Pioneer or Class D amps are bad. I just think the design and power supply inside and it's ability to deliver current needs to be there if you are trying to drive a demanding speaker.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5