Originally Posted By Strider53
Is there a receiver or preamp available that supports 9.2.4?
I have currently a typical 7.2 set up and would like to add front wide and 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:X.
Looking online I have found only 9.2.2, 7.2.4. It seems you must give up a pair of surrounds or ceiling speakers in order to use front wides. My preference is a preamp and adding an additional amp
rather than going with an all in one receiver.
thanks, Jeff

Not in anything affordable. I mean you can jump into something like a Trinnov, but that is serious $$$. Now, maybe someone has a 13 speaker receiver or pre/pro out there to do 9.2.4, but nobody seems to have good suggestions for something somewhat affordable. Here is a discussion elsewhere about it...
"Best Way to Atmos 9.2.4?"

I think that the appeal of a pre/pro and amps vs. a receiver is that once you invest in the amps, you can more economically upgrade the processing, usually. But you still need to make that amp investment.

Hey Matt, what do you have against immersive audio and overhead speakers? SOOOO many people, consumers/professionals/enthusiast/etc really love Atmos and now DTS:X is getting rave reviews after finally hitting homes yesterday. Now, if you are just saying "make sure that your main 5.1/7.1/9.1 setup is good first" then that makes complete sense, but it just seems like you think that Atmos and DTS:X are snake-oil or a fad like curved screens based off of your posts which is why I ask.

Farewell - June 4, 2020