Quick update. I didn't get as far as I wanted, but I did get the surround speakers relocated. I got pretty lucky with not hitting any studs....until.... my last speaker, But, I worked around it OK.

Anyway, here are the rear speakers. The left one is in the new position, and the right one is at the original location. I also made wood mounts to put these speakers at a slight angle as well. Each of these moved 10 inches wider and 4 inches down (still easily clears the rear seats).

Here are the rear brackets mounted and the first round of mud filling the holes. I've gotten pretty good at hiding drywall repairs over the years, so this will look perfect when done...

And just for fun, here they are, both mounted in their final locations. Disregard the slight drywall dust thumbprint on the top of the right one... smile

OK. For the sides, I moved them to be right at the mid point between the two wall sconce lights. This just happened to be exactly 12 inches forward. I also dropped them 6 inches in anticipation of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X in the future so that I have a bit more separation from the main "bed" speakers and the overheads. I originally had my side surrounds a bit higher because I had QS8s in these positions when I wired this up originally. Now I am focusing on front row sound as the priority, and this is where it should mathematically make sense.

And with the M3 in place....

So since there were some good sized 2+ inch by 2+ inch holes that I used to fish the wire, so the mud is taking a long time to cure. I put a heater in the room for about 5 hours today after it sat overnight. That really helped, but I am waiting until I get back from my work travel this week before rough sanding, wet sponge sanding, filling whatever needs touchup, more wet sponge sanding, texture, and paint. While I was at it, I did some touch ups elsewhere on the walls, plus filled finishing nail holes around the door frame and crown molding (that I *could* paint, but the Super Bowl starts in an hour and I am on dinner duty). I've got a nice 4 day weekend coming up at the end of this week. Not that I get all 4 days to do whatever I want, but it should be enough time to get this done and painted.

Last edited by nickbuol; 02/07/16 10:32 PM.

Farewell - June 4, 2020