Short answer, yes... I went to CEDIA 2014 where they formally announced Atmos and had several demos set up. I specifically asked about surround speakers, and was told several times, including right from Dolby reps, that monopole speakers are what Atmos was designed to use since it provides the best pin-point imaging. Not that you can't use bi/di/quad-pole speakers, but you won't get the full effect...

That was September 11, 2014 that I was there. 2 months later, Axiom had a killer sale, and I bought the on-wall M3s.

I will have the QS8s and even my older VP150 center channel. Just need to decide what to do with them. I want to use whatever proceeds from the sale or trade-in towards the ceiling speakers. I really want to get 4 more on-wall M3s and turn them in to on-ceiling, but haven't thought up a good mounting option for that yet (haven't really put much thought into it either). If I don't do that, then I will probably go with something like the Volt-6 in one of its configurations from the DIY Sound Group.

I really like the M3s though.

Farewell - June 4, 2020