Originally Posted By Mojo
My buddies loved their (now) 25 year-old speakers. So did I. Then I got M80s. Everything changed.

You don't have to buy M80s though to be closer to audio Nirvana. Heck, you don't even have to spend for M3s. A pair of the latest Andrew Jones bookshelves for $120, set up correctly in your room, serve as a cheap red pill.

Perhaps it's better however to enjoy what you have. The rabbit hole you are in right now may be more peaceful than the rabbit hole the red pill might take you into.

Well I could see how that'd happen. I've read some healthy praise for the M80's and though I haven't heard them, they do look like some high quality speakers. One day I'd love to hear them.

I've done some reading and research and those Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers come up all too often. Bargain hifi is an interesting market segment. I've been stuck in vintage territory for a few years, so switching to the new equipment market has been slow for me. Heck, the newest thing I own in my system is an Ortofon 2M Red on my ancient Thorens 125 MkII.

The only red pill I've swallowed so far is having all my components serviced. I've had my Nikko Alpha II recapped and modified and an H/K Citation 17s that was cleaned up. Next up is an overhaul on the turntable. It's been fun so far though. Gradually I hope to "upgrade" everything in the chain, but it'll take time. I've climbed in and out of the rabbit hole a couple times for the sake of learning. It's a long way down, err.. up.