Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
The 32" stub wall at the rising side of the stair. The screen wall could flush up to the stair line and head up to the long wall on the drawing. This would allow getting all front channels away from the wall. smile

Ahh, OK... my first thought was that running an AT screen the full width would be way too big, but it's "only" 120", and I do like the idea of getting the fronts away from the side walls... plus as Serenity_Now said you are going to want to pull the fronts out from the front wall either way.

I'm leaning towards using a regular (non AT) screen - even a 90" diagonal would be enough to give you a THX-recommended viewing angle, and you have room for bigger than that without the fronts getting in the way.

Originally Posted By mikecoscia
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I was originally planning on just going with what I have in my living room, the Epic 60 system with an additional pair of QS8's. I thought about going atmos, but there is no wall under that I-Beam. It is one big room, so I have nothing to mount all those side speakers too.

Thanks for the extra pics, they really help.

You could move the side surrounds forward a foot or so and still have one mounted on a bracket coming down from the I-beam without people banging their heads. Alternatively you could move them back a bit and run 5:1, but these days I think it's worth running 7.1 if you can.

I can only mount them directly to the ceiling or surface of the I-Beam. I considered putting up a wall and separating the two rooms, but it would make everything just look waaaay to small.

Agreed, a wall would make it feel too cramped. If you wanted though you could hang a heavy black curtain down from the I-beam framing and draw it closed to help with light/sound control (both ways :)).

I am not a huge audiophile, I just want it to sound good without going too crazy. I really don't plan on doing any acoustical treatments, besides the drop ceiling and a few area rugs.

I think you will end up wanting some absorption along the right side wall to make up for the left side being open (or curtain), or the sound will seem unbalanced.

A few people have posted pics of really nice decorative sound absorbing panels they made. Maybe 2 of those.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8