Like many others, I'm putting together a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos front projection home theater setup. I'm an existing Axiom owner so I decided to go with Axiom speakers again for this build. I've already purchased all of the equipment and speakers, and most of it has arrived. I started the build this weekend and, frankly, the anxiety level is rising. So I thought I'd post my plan and let the fine folks on this forum chime in with their wisdom and experience. I've already gleaned quite a bit of information from this forum to come up with the plan so hopefully I'm not too far off.

The goal was to implement a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos theater with a 115" front project screen. The room is in the basement and is (mostly) light controlled, with only one window (that I might black out) and whatever light comes down the stairs. It will mostly be used for movies, Netflix and regular TV.

Anyways, here is a link to some PDF (Visio) drawings of the floorplan, with seating, speakers, project screen, etc. It is pretty much too scale. It's a bit busy but pretty self-explanatory.

Home Theater Plan

Home Theater Plan - Side View

Equipment List:

• Project: Epson 5040ub
  • Screen: 115" EluneVision Reference Studio 4k Fixed Frame (White, 1.0 gain)
  • Receiver: Denon AVR-X6300H
  • UHD BluRay Player: Oppo 203D
  • Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
  • L/R Speakers: Axiom M100 (Black Oak)
  • Center Channel Speaker: Axiom M80HP (Black Oak) *to be swapped for the inverted cabinet version
  • Side/Back Surround Speakers: On-Wall M5HP (Boston Cherry)
  • Overhead Atmos Speakers (Top Fronts & Top Rears): On-Wall M5HP (Boston Cherry) - mounted to ceiling using Full Metal Ceiling Brackets, oriented on it's side and angled towards listening position
  • Subwoofer: 2 x EP800 (Black Oak, Vertical)

I've already received most of the equipment and have started the build. I hung the screen this weekend (which was more difficult than I expected) and tested the projector. Next step is to run cabling through pre-installed conduit and mount the projector. Then I will setup the receiver and start calibrating/setting up the speakers. I am also planning to get a professional calibration done on the projector.

I'm starting this thread for some open feedback and to ask questions as I go through the installation. I do have a couple of initial questions/concerns, though.

What are the thoughts on using the On-Wall M5HP speakers as the overhead Atmos speakers, versus in-ceiling speakers? I honestly didn't want to have to use in-ceiling speakers since I don't know how to fish wire through a textured drywalled ceiling. Also, there has been discussions about using overhead speakers that could be angled for better dispersion (see Acoustic Frontiers blog posts). Thoughts?

How to arrange the front speakers? I was planning to place the subs alongside the L/R towers at the front of the room as I don't really have many other options. But there isn't much allowance to keep both the subs and the towers away from the side/back walls. What's the best orientation? I'm thinking the M100s to the outside with the subs to the inside. I was originally going to purchase SVS PB16-Ultras which could have been placed further in and under the projection screen, but decided to go with the EP800s out of loyalty to Axiom and also because they were a bit cheaper.

I can mount the back surrounds and left surround at any height, but I'm limited to mounting the right surround higher, with the bottom edge of the speaker at 55" from the floor. Should I mount all of the surrounds to the same height or mount the 3 lower with just the one a bit higher. What would be the ideal height?

Anyways, I will have a lot more questions but that should get the ball rolling...hopefully. Thanks in advance for any assistance that can/will be provided.

Cheers!

Bryan