Rather than moving the M60s further into the room, which would have introduced other listening challenges, I plugged the lower rear port on each M60 using a pair of old (but clean) socks for each speaker. That seems to have had the desired effect, eliminating the "too much bass on some notes" problem and bringing the sound of the M60s closer to that of the M5HPs.

The change in sound from plugging one port on each speaker is fairly significant, enough that I'm going to try taking the speakers off the 5" stands and putting them back on the floor, albeit tipped up a bit with 1" wood under the front feet to point the tweeters up at ear level.

EDIT - yep, that worked. Bass levels still seem right, and tilting the M60s rather than lifting them gets both midrange & tweeters pointing to ear level. The differences between the speakers are now much more subtle, so I guess I need to start comparing them all over again. That's going to have to wait a while, unfortunately, and I really should get a speaker switch box going first.

And yes, I should have tried plugging a port on the M60s a long time ago.

The M5HP seems like a really important addition to the Axiom product line, filling a gap between M3/M22 and M50/M60 that has existed since the M40 was dropped.

The M40 was really a music-only speaker though, while the M5HP fills a gap for both HT (with sub) and music (without sub) applications.

Last edited by bridgman; 04/30/17 06:44 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8