(Skip to the last few paragraphs if you just want to cut to the chase!)

All, here’s a summary of initial impressions of the M5 HP On-Wall speakers compared to my existing in/on wall M22/M2/M22 LCR combo. These are accompanied by 4xQS8 and an EP500 for a 7.1 system. Powered by a Pioneer SC-05.

Since I had to physically change out speakers and connections any kind of unbiased blind AB testing was not going to be possible. Consider this a totally subjective biased expression of my opinion.

It had been awhile since I’d done any critical listening of my system so I pulled out some of my favourite discs and spent some time reacquainting myself. We watch movies often and I play PS4 with my son and watch TV, however to concentrate on audio subtleties is not something I’d done in a while. So I checked the existing calibration was still correct and then launched into a personal review of audio awesomeness with my W series.

My existing system (see album link below) is the discontinued in/on wall version of the M22 (called the W22 back in the day). The W series has more cabinet volume so has a bit better bass response than the traditional on wall versions sold currently. That is what led me to Axiom in the first place as I was looking for deeper extension from on wall speakers without breaking the budget - also the unique design of the QS series for surrounds was another draw. I first built my system with W22’s and W150 for center channel duties. However after a year or two I became interested in exploring vertical center channels and switched out the W150 for a W2. You can read my listening report on that comparison here. The short version is that I will always have a vertical center channel when possible. Anyway, enter the release of the M5HP OnWalls and I have my chance to go lower in Hz, more capable power handling in dB and to have 3 identical LCR speakers for my front sound stage. But could they be as good as my existing combo?

Before I say anything about the M5’s I first of all have to say how amazing my existing system sounds (to my ears anyway). So much so that as I was reviewing things to listen to for the comparison I began to worry I’d wasted time and money on the new purchase of M5’s without even having heard them yet!

Disclaimer - keep in mind anything I say below is describing shades of grey and is not a black & white difference, no matter what superlatives I may get carried away with smile

Before listening to the M5’s I also level matched them to be equal to the W’s and with the rest of the system so front to surround/sub balance was as close I could make it.

I started with the often used but still great Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds at Radio City on BR. I listened in particular to the piano in ‘Out of My Hands’ and presence of the guitar in ‘Grace is Gone’. The piano had a slightly more natural sound and greater presence to it with the M5’s. The W22’s sometimes put the piano more forward and less balanced on certain phrases. In Grace is Gone the ‘body sound’ of the guitar had more depth and impact and the high end ‘twanginess’ of the higher guitar notes was somehow smoother and more controlled than the W22 (which still sounded fantastic!)

Another piece I like is the drum battle track ‘Batalla de los Tambores’ from Godsmack on the Changes DVD (yes I said DVD!!). In particular the opening sequence where Sully is playing the bongos against Shannon on the full scale drum set, I find the bongo to drum balance a bit tricky. Here was a more obvious difference where the bongos had much more presence on the M5’s. I find the bongos a bit ‘soft’ compared to the volume of the full drum kit in general in this track, but the M5’s made them more clearly defined. Then later when things get busy the M5’s were able to keep things overall a bit more clear.

In the Porcupine Tree ‘Anesthetize’ Blu-ray, the title track ‘Anesthetize’ has some amazing tom’s by my favourite drummer Gavin Harrison. Here, like the bongos from Godsmack, the M5’s had more snap and impact to the tom strikes. When the track really gets going with the full band it can get a bit busy and lose cohesion if I have my W22’s cranked too high – however the M5’s were able to take the volume without ‘compressing’ the sound and the treble just sounded smoother again. Not sure if this is the v2 vs v4 tweeters, but a nice improvement.

Lastly I used the opening sequence to the 2009 version of Star Trek Blu-ray movie as I did when comparing the W150 to W2 several years ago (see link above). The same improvements applied again but this time from the W2 to the M5 – dialogue, presence, smoothness. Again, the natural impact of the loud brass ‘blasts’ was better with the M5’s shortly after the Paramount logo leaves the screen. I did not check off axis this time around. I did have my wife join for this part - always good to keep the budget committee on your side! My wife could hear the improvements as well so she was sold on keeping the M5’s.

Here’s a link to related photos.

Sorry for the marathon post, but the summary is that the M5HP OnWalls are staying and will be properly & permanently mounted. They are able to play louder and more cleanly with better bass extension, clarity and a smoother high end than my W22’s and W2. Again, this is not black and white, but is a nicer shade of grey cool .

If cost is a factor I think anyone would be very happy with M22 on-walls (with a good sub of course), but if you want that little bit extra, the M5HP OnWall’s are a nice upgrade.

I have a lot more to learn and experiment with these speakers, however the introduction was good enough to commit to the long term!

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1