Originally Posted By TDIPablo
People who mount TV's above fireplaces always baffle me...So, in ideal conditions

I think you answered the baffling part in the succeeding sentence. Not everyone has an ideal setup. Most 'new' homes i've seen all have a family room off the side of the kitchen (think open concept) and inevitably there is a fireplace (gas) with some wall decor for books and yep, a tv above the fireplace.
Blame the home designers, not the home owners.

That being said, we have a huge wall on our main floor and knew at some point, not being able to put any art on it in a meaningful way next to tv, meant just getting a really large ass tv to try and fill enough of the space to make the wall look reasonably filled.
So we bought a 65".
https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x900e-series

It is located about 2/3s the way up the wall to accommodate speakers and a rack underneath. The bottom edge sits at 52" off the floor and hence middle of the screen is way above 42". However, we also sit about 15' back from the wall.
There really isn't any neck strain to speak of as the angle of view declines with distance away from the screen. It works just enough.
Now if we were sitting 10-12' away...

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."