Chesser, subs for me have been the most puzzling piece of the audio game. I have a used Yammie sub I bought for $100 and a more than 20 year old Sony sub I picked up at London Drugs for about the same price. Both of those deliver satisfying slam but I'm sure the slam I'm hearing is the non-linearity Axiom struggles so hard to avoid. Now I know non-linearity is not good as a general principle in engineering but damn I like it when I get punched in the chest and can still feel deep, pulsating bass. BTW, these cheaper subs can't deliver the deep, neighborhood-saturating bass my EP60PV2 does but they are satisfying nonetheless.

I'll be able to advise you better after I get my 800. It's encountered a weather delay in Ontario and won't get here tomorrow.

I know this is sacrilege for Ian but maybe he needs to have multiple modes for his DSP subs: linear, earth pulsator and chest punch. Linear would be the flat response he strives so hard to achieve, earth pulsator bumps the response below 22 Hz and chest punch bumps the response between 40 to 60 Hz.

I think it was said somewhere on here all the reviews are old. The product coming out of Axiom today is not the same design as 7 years ago. The cabinets have been stiffened with multiple window braces, nuts hold the drivers on, the crossovers are higher quality and better integrated with the driver characteristics, midranges have a much improved baffle, the HP drivers are more linear, the v4 tweeters are a sheer joy to listen to even at very loud listening levels, speakers have been optimized based on their family of curves, the subs have all been re-done including the amps. The bottom line in all of this is that Axiom understands its product now better than ever and I'm pretty positive the v4 line is as optimized as it can be within current architecture. Active crossovers now is the natural progression.

There's some real engineering talent there now. The Bryston relationship I'm sure has really helped because they can all hold each other accountable which ultimately results in better product. None of the improvements made were easy or cheap to effect by the way.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated