From what I understand, Axiom uses a toroidal inductive transformer vs. a switching type power supply and as such has a lot more dynamic headroom "power" available. They combine this with a Class D amplifier section which is very efficient and doesn't generate a lot of heat.

This new Parasound Class D amp which was sent to me to test out I am told has some new design features which make it play more like a conventional Class A/AB amplifier. That seems to be the case thus far as it has really full Low and Mid range, but the Highs seem to be a little on the bright side to me. I cannot recall what I have read in reviews of other newer Class D amps like the Anthem units, but I will have to go back to see what they had to say about the tonal characteristics so that I can determine if this seems to be common to Class D designs or if it's just that this amp needs break in time.

I also plan on swapping back over to my Class A/Ab amp perhaps later today just to hear the differences after two days of use with the D amp.

What I find interesting is that the amp with it's switching power supply seems to be holding up well to large amounts of high dynamic input without running out of gas and it runs cool. I also like the 600 watts of power at 4 ohms, it seems to drive the Model T's nicely.