Originally Posted By Mojo
Craig Chase says the M5HP with a sealed Axiom sub is on par with the best $10K speakers he's heard. So maybe that trio is better than Mini-Ts.

It wouldn't surprise me - crossing over at 100 Hz or so would knock off the worst of the bass bump and the rest of the frequency response is pretty good.

Mini-T

M5HP

I messed around with port plugs without much success, but I should probably try the official ones instead of random foam bits I had lying around.

I still have an overwhelming urge to take a Sawz-all to one of my M5HP pairs and extend the cabinet a bit to lower the tuning frequency by about 15 Hz (I can live without being able to play loud), but they both have such nice veneer I can't bring myself to do it. Besides, I don't have time and I keep forgetting the math.

Axiom's FR curves are a few years newer than the SoundStage ones and look flatter - guessing there might have been some tweaking over time.

My recollection is that Axiom's published curves generally come pretty close to SoundStage's if the same year of speaker is measured, although I guess they may do different things for handling the lowest frequencies.

Thought I remembered someone saying that both chambers were good down to ~80Hz or so, but Axiom has a "subwoofers in space" tower and I don't know what NRC does (but I bet it involves a government-sized parking lot.

I should probably bite the bullet and try some LFR's - they probably have some of the Bryston goodness as well as all the omni goodness - but I still really want to be able to separate all that stuff out in my own head.

I guess I could try LFR's and turn off the amp powering the back half... hmm.

Last edited by bridgman; 07/31/18 02:00 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8