Hello SrMead,
Before I retired and worked as an editor at Audio magazine in Manhattan, Dolby Labs used to recommend using some type of multi-polar surround speakers (this was long before the Atmos era), positioned on the side walls (in a 5.1 configuration, with the option of adding two more surrounds speakers at the rear for a 7.1 channel setup). In fact, Dolby's smaller New York demo theater was equipped that way. In the Hollywood movie mixing sessions I attended in a large cinema-size mixing theater (the Alfred Hitchcock mixing theater), the surround speakers were all direct-radiating types on the side walls and rear wall.

That said, since my musical tastes parallel your own, I've used QS8 surrounds on the side walls to great effect for music (and movies, for that matter) for many years, paired with M22s at the front (or M80s, on a switching system) with an EP500 subwoofer.

The timbral match of the QS8s to the M22s and M80s is superb. I assume the QS10s are equally well-matched, but I had retired from Axiom before they were introduced, so I've never heard them. You may well find that with the LFR1100s, with which I'm familiar, that the soundstage is so broad and enveloping, you don't even need to bother with surround speakers, however, I still recommend you use a pair of QS8s or QS10s on each side wall. The ambience envelopment and "hall sound" is at times thrilling, and there is no loss of imaging specificity with the QS surrounds.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)