My favorite writer, William Goldman, passed away, so I've started making time for movies he wrote the screenplays for that I never got around to watching, as well as revisiting some of his novels that I loved. He was a titan among screenwriters, having won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, as well as Best Adapted Screenplay for All the President's Men. I'm sure he'll always be best known for The Princess Bride, which I still consider my favorite book. And here's the deal. Right now the illustrated Kindle edition of the book is down to $2.99 on Amazon.com, which is a steal. If you've only seen the movie, there are enough differences in the novel to make a read worthwhile.

The Princess Bride: An Illustrated Editi... Kindle Edition

Just trying to get more people to try out his novels. To see how different his writing can be, as a contrast to The Princess Bride, I also recommend Control, which I love for being so weird. I'm going to be doing a reread of it along with an online friend, who hasn't read any of his books. She's also going to be reading Marathon Man, which I also recommend. If you're like me and prefer physical copies of things when possible, he's worth looking up at your local bookstore. Mine only had copies of Marathon Man and Tinsel, so I donated spare copies I had of several of his other works. Here's hoping they actually put them on their shelves to sell.