Well, let's face it. Active LFR is a costly proposition. I guess there are going to be those who money doesn't really stand as an object when it comes to sound, but the question to be asked is would those people also not be part of the snobbery that would question the pedigree of Axiom and just buy into some more well-advertised brand that has better name recognition with their other snob minded acquaintances.

I have a pair of LFR1100s. I find that they do play quite well and can give me a whole load of enjoyment. I have tested an ADA1500 with my setup in my room and found no real advantage over the ADA1000 that I currently own.

I got an email from Axiom offering me to move up to Active. Why would I go on blind faith that it will be that much better? I know the side of diminishing returns and now that at this point in the curve that getting a small fraction better sound can cost quite a large investment in cash.

It comes back to the so misquoted statement that I made. The improvement in sound I got from going from an older set of speakers, in my case a pair of Energy C3, to a set of M3v4 speakers was gigantic. The M3 are about $600. The improvement from the M3 to M100 is there, but not 4 times better considering the cost of the speakers are over four times the price. If you moved to the LFR1100 your cost jumps up well over 10x the price.. do you honestly think you are getting that much jump in sound? Yes it is bigger and envelops you more. But it is a night and day better sound like going from a 12" black and white TV to a 100" 4k laster projection?

If I was to trade in my LFR1100 for an active system, I would want to take a listen with a blind A/B comparison to say yes I can hear an improvement over what I have now and it's worth the extra cash out of my pocket to get that sound.

I am just outside of Dwight for the next 4 days. If Ian wants to sell me on going Active, then show me what it can do.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5