Ah yes, the perfect 360-degree sound radiator. We are a still a long way off from that. I wonder how you would mount it in the room? The response curves of this device would all be identical and would need to have a similar downward tilt like we see in the LFR curves. As to how it would actually perform, all I can say is I would love to be in that blind listen test!

For the purpose of loudspeaker measurements, the Sound Power is in dB SPL. We run the measurements with the mic located two meters from the loudspeaker and then use 2 watts to bring us back to 1 watt/1 meter. The response curves that make up the resulting Listening Window and Sound Power all have their own unique characteristics but with similar trends. In the case of an omnidirectional the 90 will have the maximum downward tilt. In a conventional front firing the 90 will tend to look like the Sound Power. Technically an LFR is a Bipole design but the linearity of the front and rear off-axis responses make it operate more like an omnidirectional.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer