I'm guessing a bit here, but to me the real advantage of DSPs over hard-wired electronics is the ease of experimentation and tweaking.

I don't have much digital audio experience but I was lucky enough to get in at the start of digital video... and if there's anything I remember clearly from that time it's that at most of the really cool effects we developed happened by accident while trying to implement something much less interesting.

It's interesting that it takes a big box full of DSP to make a multi-driver tower speaker give the same kind of ruler-flat frequency response that an M2 has been doing for a decade, using "Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave" technology.

EDIT - looks like the web pages have been updated to make it clear that the active LFR's include frequency response fine-tuning... very nice.

Question for Ian - the LFR1100's response (along with that of most of the larger speakers) slopes down ~5dB between 100 Hz and 15 KHz, while M2's (for example) are flat between those frequencies. Is the slope down something deliberate ?

I'm going to have to carry even more speakers up and down the stairs to compare, aren't I ? I figure about half of my total exercise involves hauling speakers between the HT loft and the rest of the house.

Last edited by bridgman; 01/31/20 07:51 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8