"My TV room is in the basement and 15ft x 14ft, with one side completely open to a bar area. So unfortunately, for a 5.1 setup like I have, the surround speakers are on the back wall."

I would say start from scratch.... with your speakers and setup.

Can you turn the room layout so that the bar opening is behind you instead?

This will let you place speakers with even sidewall reinforcement from the front channels. Would make a big difference in your perceived fullness if the front speaker sidewall reflections were used to your advantage instead of filling up the bar area on one side.

Size the system subs for the total room volume including bar. If you are using small satellite speakers with a sub you may want to think about upgrading to a more full range setup with a couple subs. Lower frequencies are where subjective fullness comes from. Use your room to your advantage by backing speakers onto even boundaries to load it better.

If budget is an issue you could always go with M5hps for your Left\Center\Right channels with RSL directional in ceiling speakers for surrounds and subs from a cheaper manufacturer. Plenty to chose from that perform well and cost a little less.

Definitely spend the money on your front soundstage. Axiom is a great choice for there, as you can get away with no treatment and have a great result.

If you post pics you will get great help.