I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but I've just spent a rainy afternoon with an SPL meter and the Avia disc and I'm not really motivated to do too much extensive research right now. And let me preface this by saying that I'm an incessant tweeker - I have enormous difficulty leaving well enough alone when it comes to my stereo/HT setup.

My problem is this: What component takes precedence when it comes to identifying speaker size, distance, etc.? I have a Pioneer Elite DV45a and a Marantz SR5200. Currently, the Pioneer's speaker distances are set to the defaults (10'), the channel levels are all set to the defaults (fixed output) and the speaker sizes (M22, VP150, QS4) are all set to "small". The Marantz has the actual speaker distances programmed in, and the speaker sizes are all set to "small" as well. I'm using an EP175, so both components have the subwoofer setting "on". The Marantz has a fixed crossover point of 100hz.

My gut is telling me that the Pioneer needs to have all of the speakers set to "large" with the subwoofer setting off. The rationale is this: the Marantz would get the full range signals and do its job of distributing the signals more effectively without any interference from the dvd player. And what about the defaut 10' distance settings on the Pioneer versus what I've actually measured and set on the receiver?
I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds