Okay, we move into our new house wednesday. I paid to have 2 rear speakers pre-wired in the great room and also for two exterior (backyard) speakers with a volume control at the back door to be wired to the same spot. I did this before really researching, assuming the installer would help me from choosing incorrectly. I was more concerned about using all the right networking wire. Well, I was just looking at the wiring today and I checked my billing and sure enough he wired (and I paid for) all 4 speakers to be wired with 16 AWG wires..... Well now I have read that 16 gauge is only for 10 feet or less, 14 gauge is for 10-20 feet, and 12 gauge is for longer lengths. The great room is 21 feet wide as it is, not including the fact that the wiring did not go in a straight line through the room. So that means the distance is probably close to 30 feet using 16 gauge. These are for QS8's and whatever I grab for outdoor speakers......how bad is it? Are we talking replacing the wiring completely or would I be able to use the 16 without regret?

Last edited by proggy_99; 06/21/04 02:00 AM.