BrotherBob - I recently purchased a new 2.0 music only system. I would have loved to get seperate amps/receivers. In fact, I spent quite a bit of time checking out Rotel, NAD, Outlaw, etc.. If nothing else the Rotel's look like works of art to me. Basicly for me it came down to my impression that my ears wouldn't be sensitive or educated enough to discern a difference in a system that was much more expensive than I purchased. I wound up going with m60's and an H/K 3480 receiver (120 watts per channel) and I couldn't be happier. This system plays very cleanly to my ears at no matter what level I listen. Sometime at night I'll listen to CD's while the family is asleep in other parts of the house without them even hearing it and it sounds great. I don't feel like I'm missing anything playing the music that softly. But it also plays very loud, in fact, the other day I had the receiver set at 0db (-15db's for me is very loud) and It was uncomfortably loud and I could feel the beat thumping my chest (although it was still very clean). Your m80's are even more efficient, and if you add a powered sub which will take some of the load off your mains I don't think you'll need that much juice.

All that being said, if I had unlimited funds, I'd probably still go for a big honkin' tower of amps. If nothing else, it'd be a blast putting a system like that together. Then you could compete with Tharkon to see who's system plays louder.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Wegiz; 03/27/05 12:49 AM.

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC