Amen.

I really wanted to go back to the "good ol' days"... I remember good vinyl having this mystical quality unparalleled on any 8-track I'd heard.

Having not had a turntable hooked up since about 1989, my heart beat faster as I sat in front of Cubase waiting to preserve forever bro's copy of a Metallica/Pushead picture disc (total number of times played - 4), I dropped the needle and... what? No... no no no... it can't be... I captured one song, and it wasn't what I remembered. Well, okay, it's a new cheap Sony PS-LX250H, magnetic cartridge... it's the turntable. Borrowed bro's BSR, changed cartridges to a brand new one he had, same thing. Finally brought out the big guns and borrowed the audio tech's turntable, brand name I'd never even heard of before, thing wasn't just a belt or direct drive, it had a light chopper that monitored rotation speed and corrected wow/flutter on the fly. Still not what I remembered.

Much like trying to play Activision's H.E.R.O. on the Atari 2600 emulator, sometimes you can't go home again.

Bren R.