If the W is what you want, IMO you will need to leave some budget free for a good (big) subwoofer. Hopefully you will be surprised by how deep and smooth the bass is on this generation of speakers and won't need as much bass boost as you're used to... but the one downside to new speakers (even with 8" mini-subs) is that they are not going to handle cranking up the bass boost the way your 15s did.

Again, they probably won't NEED as much bass boost but if you do end up wanting that much bass boost you're going to wanting a big subwoofer (or 2) not a small, accurate woofer.

I still see M80s and a good (big) sub in your future. I think you would be extremely happy with that combination. Do you have any sense for what SPL you like to play at ? That seems to be the biggest variable between people on the board, and will certainly be one of the biggest factors in choosing your speakers.

I think Dennis (Tharkun) is probably the current champion in the Decibel Hog wars, "comfortably north of 100dB". He has M80s and 2 EP600s... and actually USES all that power.

Last edited by bridgman; 04/16/05 03:12 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8