OK,
I've just gotten done with A/B-ing the DD5.1 and SACD versions of Kind of Blue, and I am shocked.
The DD5.1 version on the Dual Disc is nothing short of a disaster compared to the SACD version.
Insane levels of background noise, it actually sounded WORSE than Tape versions I have had! How is this possible???
Nothing in the surround channels. (Or at least nothing in the 10 minutes that I could bear to have it on!)
Cutoffs in notes and cymbals, NOTHING even close to what is achieved on the SACD. Heck, it is WORSE than the latest remastered Redbook version.
I stood there and checked and double checked all of my settings and parameters for the player and the reciever, because I could not believe what I was hearing, and all was as it should be.
I was simply stunned by how bad the DD5.1 was.
I will not presume to comment on any other Dual Disc out there, as this is the only one that I have heard, but I will caution anyone that is considering buying this version of this album to stay away from THIS Dual Disc. No, that is not strong enough. I BEG You not to buy this Mess!
Not only is it NOT comparable to what is available on SACD, it is a huge step backwards from the latest Redbook CD versions available.
Wow.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900