My first car was a 1968 Ford Cyclone with a 289 in it. Kinda of looked like a Javelin. It was a cool car. They only made them for 3 years. Bought it in 1979 and cost me the princely sum of $125. I sold it 8 months later (it was starting to die) and replaced it with a humungous 1968 4-door Dodge Polaris for $175. It was a land yacht with standard brakes and standard steering. The steering wheel as the size of a buses and it was a female dog to turn when going slow (armstrong steering). Another 8 months later (and 2 days before Christmas) I blew the engine while driving the TransCanada highway about 18 hours into a 42 hour round-the-clock drive home to Toronto from Edmonton. It was about -28 degrees celcius out and I had to walk a mile in the prairie winds to a phone (no cellphones back then), called a cab, walked back, waited, piled my stuff into the cab, pulled the plates off the car, left the vehicle on the side of the highway, got a lift to the Winnipeg train station and pulled into Toronto train station late Christmas eve.

I didn't buy another car for 4 years. But I sure learned a lot about how to repair old junkers.