"The search involves finding wines that are nicely refined to drink on any general occasion, but are not so pricey that picking up a case comes like a downpayment on a car."

Exactly!
That for me is the ultimate challenge.
ANYONE can make great wine for $40 a bottle.
(Well, now that I read that line, I realize that it is an absolute LIE! There is WAY too much pure CRAP out there for large amounts of $$$s!)
But, to find the really, really good stuff out there for a reasonable amount of our hard earned dollars is the real trick.
After all, We are posting on the Axion Site, Right?
Speakers that sound like they should sell for 3 times the price, and people looking for wines that do the same.
Same idea, different sources of pleasure.

It has been a kick for me to see this Wine Thread take off in the last week, but I have been very, very reticient in posting to it because this is my livelihood and business, and is something that I (finallY!!!) know as much about as some of the other topics that are covered here. I do not want to post any opinions that I might have that might dampen anyone's enthusiasm for something that they like and enjoy!
So, in advance, please excuse me if one of my posts ends up sounding like "That is CRAP!"
And I promise to be a Severe Editor if I see that creeping in.
These worlds have a lot in common. It is all subjective.
I often like to invoke the same sort of feeling about the most important rule about wine that there was about the First rule in Fight Club.
The most important rule about wine is;
If you Like it, You like it! Nothing else matters!
Don't ever let someone try and talk you out of something that you like, and don't ever let someone tell you that you should like something that you do not.
End of rant...
Back downstairs for another glass of St. Innocent Pinot Gris...
Later,
Tom

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900