Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 863 of 917 1 2 861 862 863 864 865 916 917
Re: So what are ya listening to tonight?
SirQuack #417445 03/06/16 02:42 PM
veteran
veteran
madonna - immaculate collection. Sounds excellent with the m80's.

AAAA #417449 03/06/16 08:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
No wait!

Bag Raiders-Golden Wings

How did I live without spotify? laugh

I just put the new Steven Wilson, "4 1/2," on hold to check out both of your suggestions. Synthdreampop Sans Singing, really? Trevor, would you BUY that music and listen to it again in 2 years?

Speaking of music I may not listen to again in 2 years, the Wilson thing is really good, but there are other of his efforts I would always reach for first.

The new Bowie is sonically a really fun and interesting go 'round. The songs and the lyrics are definitely neither. The most memorable moments are all the performances of the players. I'm not excluding Davey Jones' vocals from that category at all. However, there's no tune you want to play again, immediately, and there are no melodies or passages that stick with you.

There are a lot of rather dull and indulgent Bowie albums from the 90's and the past 15 years. That whole "I Hate Americans" thing was kinda weird, especially since most of his fans and money came from here. There are also a few really good albums, like '03's "Reality, or the following year's "Earthling."

If you like the previous Bowie release, you will probably like this one, musically. I will listen to it a couple more times, but I doubt it will stay in the house out of anything more than respect.

There are some really wild things going on here, like his Crosby-esque crooning voice, at ballad tempo, floating above the awesome band playing in what seems like quadruple time to his melody's tempo.

The tunes are all about checking out. The cd cover copy, (all of it!) is printed gloss black on matte black, so you have to bend it to read it. The songs include titles "Lazarus," "'Tis a Pity," and "I Can't Give Everything Away," so in case there was lingering doubt about what was on his mind...

A friend said that same thing made the last Warren Zevon albums a bit too dark to take. His first album is dark, but always with a sense of humor. There was tons of irony in Bowie, but not much humor-----wit, yes. I can't think of an image of Bowie smiling.

If you still like your R & R raw, like I do, check out Royal Blood. They are not my first choice of a "band." A Rock & Roll "band" is 4 people; 2 guitars, bass and drums, and at least 2 vocals. A three-piece or a keyboard player as 4th were OK. Of course, 5 was even better, but less of a feat, to me.

When The White Stripes became huge, I thought the world had lost its mind. You can't have a two-piece band. Well, you can, but it sounds like The White Stripes (If you live long enough, that happens all the time). He's not good enough a player or singer, she sure isn't a drummer, and the writing is mediocre.

These two "kids" are listenable in a way I didn't find Jack White. They both sing, and the (guitar and drum) playing and writing are better. And they're fun---the way AC/DC completely intends for their music to be, or Cheap Trick, or ZZ Top, MCR, or the Foos. I am on my 3rd consecutive spin of Royal Blood. It's shitloads of fun!

'sbout time Cheap Trick got inducted! They never forgot it was Rock 'n' Roll.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #417453 03/06/16 09:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
May I correct the omission of a single word. "Bass." They are a two-piece with BASS guitar and drums, not guitar and drums.

What guts!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
SirQuack #417459 03/06/16 10:45 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
This madonna album sounds good on the Nuance but is really hard to listen to on the Dreamcatchers and M80s. The treble is unbearable! I guess it's the 80s synth sound.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
SirQuack #417460 03/06/16 10:49 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Bob I already own it.... from about 2 years ago actually. It resides in the morgue with Jamiroquai and friends. laugh Ya nailed it! M83's, hurry up were dreaming, is not long from joining them.... Lush reverberent sound (and clipping in some tracks).

"No time!"

Yet somehow I never tire of Beach House. Haunting voice.

You are such a rock purist. Will have to check out Royal Blood.

I loves me some 80's synth. And freeing fallout synths too.

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 03/06/16 10:52 PM.
AAAA #417492 03/07/16 11:01 PM
Midnight Rambler on Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! The Rolling Stones In Concert (Live)

Like it's a black hole, I'm orbiting the bass line so close to the event horizon that there's almost no hope of escape.

pmbuko #417531 03/08/16 11:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You know how sometimes, you just gotsa ta have some really satisfying boom-boom, bang-bang, yet smart rock and roll? Anything from Zep to Rage to MCR. These guys are so on my list that I already looked and they have no tour dates published at all. But I'm gonna keep looking.

Royal Blood. Can't help it. It's been played through over a dozen times, house, to car, back into house, repeat.

Someone I played parts of it for today really liked it and thought it sounded like Muse without Ralph and not missing him. They are really good rock tunes for a first album. Another friend said that, though I had told him, the crunchiness of it really got his attention. Just a bass/singer (5-string) and a drummer. He may use 6-string basses as well, not sure. No loops. Saw them do it live on "Later, with Jools Holland."

Great stuff! Oh, and it's louder than any cd from recent memory. Can't wait to see where they go with this.

Steven Wilson is sounding a bit better every day, especially the 10-minute lead track. It does what HE does so well; take you places you didn't see coming, lots of times, in one song.

BobKay #417532 03/08/16 11:12 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
I had to get me some Royal Blood, thanks Bob. I am also into Trigger Finger these days. You gotta like the distortion, kinda reminds me of American Horror Story tunes when they come walking out into the lobby.

SBrown #417542 03/09/16 03:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By SBrown
I had to get me some Royal Blood, thanks Bob. I am also into Trigger Finger these days. You gotta like the distortion, kinda reminds me of American Horror Story tunes when they come walking out into the lobby.

Glad you found it interesting. I will check out the Finger.

Someone asked if I had heard Mutemath? Gonna check 'em out.

BobKay #417555 03/09/16 11:38 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
LOL, How are you liking the Finger Bob, Absense of the Sun is their newest title. Mutemath isn't really doing it for me.

Page 863 of 917 1 2 861 862 863 864 865 916 917

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 360 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup