Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axiom M60 owners with a catedral ceiling?
#10346 04/25/03 12:37 AM
OP Offline
how do the speakers do in a room like that. mine is 14x29

Re: Axiom M60 owners with a catedral ceiling?
#10347 04/25/03 03:19 AM
axiomite
axiomite
29 feet high?
or 14 feet high?

You just gotta love that extra church like echo.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#10348 04/25/03 12:24 PM
aficionado
aficionado
my room is 16x11. ent center, w/ tv, 2 m60, and vp100 on top shelf of ent center is on 11 foot wide wall. wall has ceiling about 10 ft high running across, about 4 feet deep. from there, it opens to cathedral ceiling, guessing about 20 feet high. across from tv, etc is centered fire place, with an atrium door on either side of it. i have 2 qs8's in corners of the room opposite tv and all. the epic 60 system more than fills the room driven by yammi rxv1300. sounds great when played at sane levels, and with the sub, at teenage, (and sometimes my) level, it's great. not an audiophile, heck not sure how to spell it, but wouldn't trade the system. initially the wife had a fit with the $$$ of the speaker system, the receiver, and don't forget the wires. as luck would have it, the 20 year old tv died too. to sum it up...new speaker system, new receiver, new entertainment center, and new plasma, and my wife enjoys it all as much as me.
if you're in massachusetts, pm me to come have a listen
or.. check out the SOON TO BE ANNOUNCED axiom owners location board.
dan

#10349 04/25/03 05:56 PM
dwm Offline
buff
buff
I've got M80ti's in a room roughly 16' x 24' with a cathedral ceiling with very large skylight wells. I just got them 2 days ago, so I haven't gotten a lot of listening in yet, but so far I'm really happy. I have the Epic 80 system with an extra QS8 for 6.1, but I've yet to install the QS8's (difficult wiring problem that'll have to wait for the weekend). The M80's replaced a pair of Polk RT2000p's, the VP150 replaced a Polk CS300i. The difference is significant; I really disliked the sloppy bass of the RT2000p's, which I suspect is laregly due to the amp inside them (which can't be circumvented w/o tearing the cabinet apart). The M80's are a clear winner for tight bass here, and the EP350 does well on music (but not so well on movies if you like 20Hz response). The VP150 is much better than the Polk CS300i for movies in this room, especially for those not sitting dead center; the 2 tweeters made a big difference for me because no one is way off axis now.

The M60 shouldn't have trouble filling your room if fed enough power. If your room is like mine, the cathedral ceiling is beneficial. I get close to zero ceiling interaction between the mains and the listener because the ceiling slopes away from my mains. The front soundstage is precise. It's sort of a mixed bag behind the listener though. It's nice for movies, but takes some tweaking for multichannel music because there's a decent amount of midrange response coming from the sloped ceiling behind the listener. Here the ceiling is sloped toward the mains, hence echoing the mains to the back of the listeners head (first reflection). But it's quite a ways off axis, so it's not a huge problem. My system is dialed in for my current surrounds (Polk RT600i), but it'll be interesting to see how much work the QS8's will be to get right, since I'm fairly constrained on positioning them (all three have to go above doorways, with only the left one having doors).

#10350 04/25/03 08:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
dwm,
If it was one thing about my setup i can honestly say was superbly surprising was how easy it was to position the QS8s almost anywhere and still get good surround sound. The multidirectional firing idea really makes the difference.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#10351 04/25/03 09:25 PM
OP Offline
the room is a 14x29 and 16 feet high and slopes away from the tv where the mains would be. the power would be "100 watts per channel, min RMS, driven into 8ohms at 1 kHz" considering the epic 60 with the vp150 upgrade. i live in PA, anyone close?

#10352 04/26/03 06:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If anything, the cathedral ceiling will be acoustically beneficial, because it decreases the number of parallel walls in the room (in this case the ceiling versus floor), which significantly reduces room modes. As others have said, I do not think a small increase in room volume will ever be a problem for the M60's.

#10353 04/26/03 06:36 AM
dwm Offline
buff
buff
My particular problem is that the downfiring driver will basically be shooting into la-la land on both the right and rear. :-) The rear will be over an entrance to the back hall, the right one over a large opening to the kitchen (maybe 7 or 8 feet). Both the left and right top drivers have a good distance too before there's a ceiling reflection, and the first on-axis reflection will basically wind up at the TV and not at the listener. :-) The rear one has a similar reflection direction issue but is closer to the start of the sloped ceiling. Don't get me wrong, the Polks aren't ideally placed either, the openings forced me to put them about 4 feet behind the listener. But I'm currently running 5.1 and when the new receiver arrives it'll be 6.1, so I want a rear center speaker and the QS8's forward of where the Polks are now. Fortunately the back of the room is pretty live (all hard surfaces), it's just shaped oddly. Right now there's an audible gap that needs filling left to right in the rear, which is why I'm replacing the direct-firing Polks with the QS8's. I think you're right, but it'll be a lot different than the Polks which means I'm going to be tweaking quite a bit and that's not trivial with a wall-mounted speaker that weighs 11 lbs and will be 7+ feet off the floor. :-) I won't have the luxury of moving them every few days so there's the fear of getting it wrong after I've already drilled holes in the wall. I'm not sure how long my wife can live with exposed wiring, but I suspect I won't have long before I need to finalize (and run the wire through the wall and new trim). I definitely don't want to do permanent wiring more than once. :-)

I'll probably tackle some of it this weekend, but I still haven't made up my mind on the new receiver so it'll be a bit before the rear center speaker has signal. I'm still waiting on my own Sunfire Signature subwoofer too, it should be here Monday (the one I was using was a loaner from a friend, and it went back to him last week).

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044