Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sunfire Signature sobwoofer help
#10432 04/29/03 02:38 AM
dwm Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
If anyone has found a nice solution to keeping the Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature in place on a hardwood floor, I'd love to hear about it. It's a little distracting to have a 50+ pound box hopping around during explosive movie moments. I have the included larger feet installed, but it's still moving around a bit and is probably going to scare my wife and guests (it already made the dog freak out). Without the big feet, it was moving during loud passages with me standing atop it (good way to make yourself queasy :-)).. Obviously I'd like something that would not destroy the floor (ash planks), but as is it's not going to be good for the floor so I'd take just about suggestion at this point short of something truly hideous-looking.

Re: Sunfire Signature sobwoofer help
#10433 04/29/03 02:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
concrete blocks? oh hedious....I mean designer clean looking concrete blocks.

#10434 04/29/03 03:23 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm just tossing out ideas here. Have you considered trying a square of carpet and some spikes?

#10435 04/29/03 04:13 AM
dwm Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I'm pretty sure the spikes would work their way through just about anything underneath that wasn't really hard. I just cleaned the floor really well underneath and the bottom of the feet, hopefully it'll be enough to keep it away from the wall for more than a movie viewing until I find a solution. I'm thinking something like industrial-strength double-sided tape under the feet, as long as it doesn't have oils or dyes that'll mark the floor. I remember having some stuff holding the rim of a truckbed liner to the bed a long time ago that from memory would be perfect (thick rubber stuff, sort of like wide and stiff rope caulk) but I haven't found anything like that yet.

I hadn't noticed this was such a big problem with my friend's borrowed Signature, probably because I was moving it around a lot.

#10436 04/29/03 08:52 AM
prz Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
two things brought about 99.99% of advancement in human civilizations. Big enough hammers and adhesives. I would
suggest glue in your case ;-) And of course I'm not serious.

What about couple of pounds of lead shot on top of it? Just make sure your dog doesn't eat it.

Last one: Early, big IBM disks looked like
big cupboards with platters rotating and heads moving
in them. There was an urban legend in IBM that a
guy wrote a piece of software that was accessing the
disks in a pattern that caused the head to hit
self-inducing-frequency (or whatever that's called
in english ;-) of the enclosure. So NSA has this
room full of them and it's high security and locked.
The programer runs somehow this software over-night
from a terminal in another room and
the disk walks away from the wall and unplugs itself.
The urban legend further claims that the security
guard that opened the maximum security vault in the
morning got so scared that he went mental ;-)

--- tony

#10437 04/29/03 02:04 PM
veteran
veteran
Another crazy idea would be a fitted sand box, cover it with thin carpet and hold the sub's sides with thick rubber moulding.

Last edited by Pinoy; 04/29/03 02:05 PM.
#10438 04/29/03 02:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm with prz.
Knit yourself a nice little sack with upholstery matching material and fill it with coarse sand. It would look like a throw pillow, just not on the couch.
You can even lend it to your sleepover guests as an ergonomic, new pillow design.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#10439 04/29/03 06:31 PM
dwm Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I don't think anything on top is going to help much, it's the contact with the floor that seems to be the problem. I weigh 165 lbs. and when standing on it, it still moved. But that was before I had put the larger feet on it. But I don't want 100+ lbs. of lead on the top; it's already sort of an ugly critter. :-)

I'm starting to think that just bigger feet (more contact surface) of a tackier material would serve my purpose. Maybe the diameter of a typical amp or receiver's feet (2" or so), and an inch tall. Hmm, the feet on my old Polks are pretty beefy, maybe I could just steal them from there...

When I first starting working in the software industry, there was an IBM mainframe in the machine room by my office which was on the way out but still running a few applications. I had no dealings with that machine, but I knew the IBM repair folks because they were the same people that dealt with our RS/6000 machines. One day one of them pulled me in to the machine room to show me what happens when one of those old mainframe disks goes bad. Pieces of platter everywhere. :-)

#10440 04/29/03 06:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Is this problem fairly common when you place a sub on a well-polished hardwood floor? I do not think my Hsu VTF-3 is going nowhere, placed on the stone tile floor. Perhaps, the Sunfire is too powerful or too light (no way!), or its feet are too slippery ???

#10441 04/29/03 06:56 PM
old hand
old hand
dwm:

If putting additional weight on top does not help, how about dampening the effects of the sub "hitting" the ground? Maybe you can try replacing the feet with vibrapods or something similar? Don't know how that will affect the sub sonically though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup