Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sunfire Signature sobwoofer help
#10442 04/29/03 07:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
dwm,
This sub certainly sounds like it is out of control. It weighs in at 57lbs and you are another 165.
Very few subs with a 12" driver should be able to physically move such a device.
Have you contacted the people at Sunfire about this to see if they have any suggestions?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#10443 04/29/03 07:14 PM
dwm Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I don't think it's all that common. The EP350 didn't budge, but it also doesn't extend below 20Hz like the Sunfire Signature. I think this problem is specific to the Sunfire... it's fairly heavy, but it's also very powerful and the driver excursion is extreme. All that EMF to do what it does in a small enclosure translates to it wanting to move. The pre-installed feet are definitely too slippery, I don't know how you'd use them effectively on any surface (too slippery for hardwood, way too shallow for carpet). The second set of feet included are much better, but I've still got some movement.

It wouldn't bother me all that much if I weren't about to leave for the Kentucky Derby. Part of the enticement for the house sitter (a good friend) is our A/V system, which he enjoys. I'd be really bummed out if I returned from the Derby to find the subwoofer had gnawed away at my drywall or the driver had been bouncing off of the wall. I've only had it a few days, I want it to still be pristine when I return but I want my house sitter to enjoy himself.

I'd bet that the EP350 feet would work wonderfully on the Sunfire Singature for me. Hmm, I wonder if there's some way for me to order EP350 feet without ordering another EP350... I just need the rubber, not the bolts.

#10444 04/29/03 07:15 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
dwm,

Have you considered using a non-slip carpet pad? I have the ones that look like they are made from rubber (from Home Depot) under my rugs on a polished hard wood floor and I have to exert quite a bit of strength to get them to move. You can cut them to size. Essentially you need something to increase the friction between the legs of the sub and wooden floor.

Good luck.

#10445 04/29/03 07:23 PM
dwm Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I haven't contacted Sunfire, if only because I'm pressed for time this week. It's only out of control in loud listening, but if my house sitter decides to watch U-571...

Like you, I didn't expect it to move much. I guess I was naive even though I had read of some other people bolting it to patio blocks (which for me would defeat the purpose, i.e. low space consumption).

#10446 04/29/03 07:26 PM
dwm Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
That's a good idea, and one I should've thought of myself since there's a huge tacky rubber pad under the 8x12 oriental rug in the same room. I guess it's been a long time since I've lifted the rug, not surprising since there's a 300+ lb. travertine table on it (not fun to move).

Thanks!

#10447 04/29/03 09:16 PM
ajb Offline
buff
buff
Another option might be to use an older neoprene type mouse pad if you can find one. They are about 1/4 of an inch thick. You could cut it up into four pieces. That might dampen it enough, assuming it works at all. It would be cheap. Ask around to see if anyone has an old one laying around the house or office.

Last edited by ajb; 04/29/03 09:18 PM.
#10448 04/29/03 09:16 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
dwm, beware of the "huge tacky rubber pad" because it may damage the wood floor if it is the wrong material. We had one (9X12) that left a gummy film on the wood that had to be remove with mineral spirits. The pad had been there for about two years before I discovered the "gummy film".

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#10449 04/30/03 12:02 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Another option is kitchen drawer non-slip padding (great for large knives/utensils, and woodworking).
It looks something like carpet underpad but is much thinner, "stickier", comes in many colors, readily available almost anywhere, and it's very cheap.
Just my 'two-cents' worth.

#10450 04/30/03 01:12 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hey 1Pha;

If you are talking about that off white rubber material with lots of perforations I used to use it on top of a microwave to prevent slippage on the stainless steel top. After 2 years some of the sticky substance melted and seem to bond rather well to the stainless steel top and to this day the top of the microwave still has many sticky gummy blotches. Even a scouring pad did not help to remove it.

#10451 04/30/03 03:34 AM
dwm Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
No worries here. Ours has been in place for 4 years and it hasn't caused any problems. I lifted 1/3 of the wool rug (the part without furniture on it :-)) and pad today to check it out. It might be the same material, but our floor planks are of the factory-finished type so it was essentially chemically inert by the time it was laid. Was your floor pre-finished or finished after installation?

Our pad is only rubber on one side (the floor side), the carpet-facing side looks sort of like wool held together with a soft adhesive (very fibrous, multiple colors but mostly medium gray). I don't think I had ever really looked at it before today, the store from which we bought the rug delivered and laid it on the floor while I was at work. The rug wasn't expensive (Karastan machine-woven wool), so I'm glad that it appears that the rug store did the right thing (the floor is worth much more than the rug :-)).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 418 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup