Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Your Maximum Price Point Poll
#10481 04/30/03 04:31 AM
old hand
old hand
I think this is one very relevant post that I could relate to very well. If you guys have some time, read this post of mine. Some might find it interesting, others, boring.

It took me 6 months of saving up and plenty of superb customer service from Axiom (particulary Amie) to get my M3s to my place in India. A friend bought it in the US and sneaked it in his suitcase into the country. I was naturally amazed at the sound of the M3s as it was way beyond anything I'd ever heard (Sony, Panasonic, Jamo, Klipsch, Bose). I did find the Quads pretty good, though.

The point I'm arriving at here is that inspite of having the M3s in a country where Sony and Panasonic are considered the best (Bose :-( being the dream; I know...), people still think I'm absolutely nuts to have bought "just a pair of mains" for $220 (FO). They think I've wasted so much money on mere speakers. But after this, people have been asking me to give them guidance on a home theatre setup and they want it all to some under $600. You got it. Mains, Rears, Sub, HT amp, DVD player to come under $600. I've been crying hoarse about the absurd limit but then, you do have Chinese HT systems that sell for as less as $250 and I get flak for not suggesting something like this. So what do you do?

I guess its the culture, the passion, the need that drives such things. But personally, I find it hard to believe that a pair of mains priced at US$20,000 and above are also selling well. I suppose people do have a lot of money out there and passions run strong for the so many different types.

Just my 2 cents.

#10482 04/30/03 04:49 AM
shareholder in the making
Yes, Vid, it was interesting to read of the audio situation in India and of the unique delivery system you adopted for your speakers. Glad that you're enjoying your M3s.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#10483 04/30/03 06:20 PM
dwm Offline
buff
buff
Exactly.

The other thing to consider is that if you had a mansion (say 20+ rooms), you'd need more than a single set of mains if you were an enthusiast. What would be the point of having a mansion if you spent all of your time in one room? You'd need sets in the rec room(s), kitchen(s), bedroom(s), etc. I don't have anything near a mansion, but I do have 3 full HT systems (family room, master bedroom, guest bedroom) and 3 stereo systems (my home office, my wife's home office, basement studio) and will probably wind up with one more stereo system at some point (rec. room in basement) so the studio system can stop doing double-duty. My car also has a nice aftermarket system.

The hours I spend listening in my office are greater in number than all the others combined (since I listen while I work), and the car is probably tied with the family room, at least during the warm months (it's a ragtop). I could spend thousands in each room, but it just doesn't make financial sense. There's a lot more money in the system in my car than in the guest bedroom, for example. In fact, my car system is probably a good run for 2nd place with the master bedroom in terms of gear cost, not counting labor. At first glance this might seem odd, but it's all in priorities. There's little that makes me happier than driving 2-lane roads through the countryside on a sunny day with the top down and some great music playing. I could have spent less on the car system, but some of the constraints would have made me unhappy if I had... I need lots of power to overcome road noise when the top is down, it's a 2-seater roadster so the subwoofer was expensive due to space constraints (a Sunfire made specifically for htis car), you pay for theft-deterrent niceties and compact size, etc.

Of course, there are those (fools) that part with their money easily and are buying for bragging rights, but the fact is that there are few people that are impressed by $100,000 speakers versus a Bentley in the garage or just a very large empty garage. :-) I could spend a lot more money on HT gear, but I don't spend every waking moment watching movies and listening to music so it just wouldn't be logical (and most gear isn't a good financial investment, since most of it loses a lot of value as soon as it leaves the store and depreciates fairly quickly). I'd rather spend $100,000 on a classic automobile, home improvement, etc. Even those who have money to burn usually don't burn it or throw value out the window, and value is very personal (hence the poll, right?).

#10484 04/30/03 07:05 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
dwm,
Perhaps you should post some pics of all these systems.
I don't think i've met anyone yet that has so many.

Personally, we have 4 systems in our house but only 2 are really considered 'systems' of worth per se.
The one in the basement (Axiom setup, Onkyo receiver, etc.) and the one in my office H/K receiver and Tannoy bookshelves.

The other two rooms are the kitchen and my wife's office but she runs some Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers off a Hercules Game Theatre XP sound card and the kitchen has an all in one Denon receiver, cd, amp, tuner module with two Denon (no name brand really) bookshelf speakers.
Those setups work fine for a small kitchen, office or a garage but at some point, if i were to put together a stereo system for the upstairs living room next to the kitchen, you would find that little Denon all in one on eBay pretty fast.
My old Technics bookshelf system will be put up on eBay quite soon in fact.
My wife just doesn't need anything else for her office but uses the sound card technology for surround gaming so that will probably stay the way it is for quite some time.
Since i do not play the same game types as my wife, i didn't need a surround system for my office and hence went out searching for a decent receiver and speaker set, more for tv, dvd and music and the combination has so far been absolutely superb.

Without a doubt, the quality of the 4 systems goes in order of Axiom/Onkyo, Tannoy/HK (close call b/w these two), Denon kitchen, and last, the Altec Lansing/Hercules.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#10485 05/02/03 05:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What you ask? someone put 50k or above?! Yes that is I. This is assuming i had the money, i would probbly buy the B&W Nautlis flagship. Sure theyre a fortune. but hey!, If i had the money i wouldnt have a problem spending it. rather put in into something i would enjoy for years than give it to charities or starving kids. selfish? sure. i guess you could say that. but we are only here for a short time and i dont owe the world anything lol. i will probbly read this when im in a different mood and think omg why would i say that! but what can i say. "I cannot explain, you would not understand, this is not how i am" -roger waters

#10486 03/17/05 03:51 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Old polls are still fun.
I voted again.

#10487 03/17/05 04:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>The other thing to consider is that if you had a mansion (say 20+ rooms), you'd need more than a single set of mains if you were an enthusiast.

Nah... 5 M80s, 2 QS8s and a big stack of Halos

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#10488 03/17/05 04:46 AM
devotee
devotee
"Old polls are still fun."

Right!
This was a fun Poll.
Although I didn't vote because there wasn't a spot for voting with the Lab Monkeys!
And because I have always been afraid to listen to something that I could never, ever, in my wildest dreams afford.
So I really have no idea what $10 or $20 or $30 thousand dollar speakers sound like!
(but they shurrre do luk purty!)

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#10489 03/17/05 12:57 PM
I'm surprised the numbers weren't higher. I'm not sure that everyone understood the terms of "if you had the cash".

Certainly, not everyone would spend $50K even if they DID have the money, but I'm surprised so many people were as low as they were.

Me? If I had millions (and was comfortable that things would stay that way!) I would spend $5k to $10K on main speakers and maybe $50K on the whole system. Twenty for a projector and screen, twenty for speakers and the rest for electronics... assuming the speakers could be driven by electronics in that price range. Otherwise, some adjustments would have to be made for the projector and speaker budgets.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#10490 03/17/05 05:15 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I'm not surprised the numbers were not higher considering the forum in which the poll was posted. I imagine the numbers would be shifted alot more had the question been asked on say AVS forums.
Still, i thought some of the ideas were interesting. It would be so tempting to buy a whole ton of expensive electronics, but other than bragging rights, i'm not sure as an individual i would be that happy in having paid hundreds of thousands. I think personally i would still be searching for the perfect sound for my preferences regardless of price, but it would be nice at least to have the freedom of readily purchasing w/o concern for financial welfare.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020