Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
WOO HOO!!! My lucky day!
#104891 07/20/05 06:37 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
So I come home and there's a package at the door. Hmm, I didn't order anything from Amazon, eBay, craigslist, audiogon, etc. that I haven't received yet. (Not including the Project Debut III TT I just got that didn't work...) My mind races, trying to remember what I bought so I can "justify" it to my wife.

Take the box inside and open it up. Inside is an XM2go receiver by Tao.

XM2go

I entered an online contest on cargomag.com about a month ago. Figured, what the hell. I really like the magazine and couldn't hurt. But I NEVER win anything like that. Low and behold, I did. Not only do I get a free receiver, but I have free service until Dec 05.

Pretty comprehensive box of equipment. Records up to 5 hours of XM, has a built in FM transmitter for use in the car, comes w/ a home kit w/ antenna/dock/stereo connections, car kit w/ charger, antenna and holder. From a gadget standpoint, pretty cool.

I listen to XM at work, up until my free feed dies. Content seems good.

Started playing w/ it. Now I know what people complain about regarding reception and sound quality. I have to walk around outside just to get a decent signal that doesn't clip or echo. Sound is on par w/ a good FM station. Haven't played w/ any of the external antennas yet, so I'll see if that helps.

I initially thought, hey I can sell it on ebay. Then I figured what the heck, I still have some free inputs on my already overloaded HT. Has potential, especially if I can use it on my desk at work. At the least, it'll be good for the long car ride from SF to Tahoe this weekend.

Hopefully I didn't use up all my luck. I want to hear what XM sounds like on an EP600...

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 07/20/05 06:40 AM.
Re: WOO HOO!!! My lucky day!
#104892 07/20/05 11:42 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I'm enjoying XM in my car since getting a free unit a few weeks ago.

I'm intrigued with the Polk XM component, but I'm not finding info regarding their satellite location on the XM website to determine if I would have a shot at reception from a window in the room with my equipment. As much as I'm liking it, a "plug and play" Polk would be cool ONLY if I didn't have to run the antenna up into the attic (tongue and groove flooring) to reach a window on the far end of the house for reception.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#104893 07/20/05 12:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Not looking to start a platform war here, just speaking for satellite radio in general. I put Sirius satellite in my car about 8 months ago. Excellent programming, excellent reception in most situations. My receiver is connected to the head unit via dedicated cable eliminating the fm modulator. My antenna is inside the car rather than having the thing visible. I can also
listen on line at work or at home. I love it! I can't remember the last time I bothered to load a cd into the player. Sometimes the compression is noticable if I listen for it.
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#104894 07/20/05 04:45 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
No sweat, I'm not taking any sides in the "format war". No plans to, heck it's free.

In the car, reception seems to be fine w/o any antenna. I'm using the built in FM modulator and vent mounting kit. Pretty minimalist. In the home, I have it hooked up the the receiver via the dock and I'm using the supplied antenna on top of my AV rack behind the VP150. No problems, I can get about 3 bars. That's even better than my cell phone... At work, it's not as good. Granted, even though I'm near the window, it's NW facing and I'm in a cube w/ 6' walls. I wouldn't dare run an antenna, the cube police would have a fit.

There seems to be a lot of content that I'd listen to: R&B, urban, hip hop, various jazz, comedy, kids, etc. Heck, it may slow down my itunes purchases and podcasts for a bit.

#104895 07/20/05 10:56 PM
veteran
veteran
I have Sirius and it sounds very good on my Axioms!! I havn't heard XM but it must be very similar. (also I am not trying to start a war!)

Hair nation, high octane, and planet jazz are my favorite channels..... alt nation is also very good

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044