Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My EP175 does not wake up, HELP PLEASE!
#10627 05/07/03 05:39 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
To the Axiom community,

Since new, when playing music on my system, my EP175 won't come out of sleep mode unless, while powered, I unplug & plug back in the RCA connector. Another way to wake it up is setting the volume of my receiver too high and then bring it down to a comfortable level, however after a short period the sub goes back to sleep mode.

I am using a fairly decent AR pro cable, the output level of the sub in the receiver is set to 0db and the volume in the sub itself is set to the middle. I have tried playing with these levels and have seen no changes.

I explained this to Joe Vasallo, he kindly agreed to repair the sub amplifier. I sent it over and just received it back after two weeks of anxiety. Just after reconnecting... an unpleasant surprise... the problem is still there... I couldn't believe it! The one new thing that I just found out is that if I knock gently on the sub amplifier, the sub sometimes comes out of sleep mode randomly and then goes back to sleep again.

Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Guillermo Schwarz

Re: My EP175 does not wake up, HELP PLEASE!
#10628 05/07/03 06:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hmm... What is the approximate position of your sub's level control? Also, what is your receiver's subwoofer level setting (-2dB, +1dB, etc)?

#10629 05/07/03 09:03 AM
shareholder in the making
Guillermo, you said that one way to rouse it from its slumber was to set the receiver volume "too high" and also that you've "tried playing" with the receiver sub output level. Unless the sub auto on is just plain defective(possible) and wasn't corrected the first time, it would seem that setting the receiver sub output higher to get more voltage out and compensating by setting the level control on the sub lower than the middle should work(unless you mean that you already tried this).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#10630 05/07/03 04:49 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
The position of the sub's level control is exactly at the middle, as recommended. The receiver's sub level is set at 0dB. I have unsuccessfully tried all settings from -5dB to +5dB.

#10631 05/07/03 04:53 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
John,
This is exactly what I tried to do in the first place, increasing the receiver sub output level and compensating by lowering the sub level control below the middle. This test made a lot of sense to me and did not work.

What do you think of the latest finding I described in my first message about knocking on the back of the sub.

Thanks much,
Guillermo

#10632 05/07/03 07:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That "wake by knocking" thing definitely sounds to me like a bona fide defective amp.

#10633 05/07/03 08:18 PM
regular
regular
I have the same problem with my EP125; Joe in service was very helpful and I sent the sub's amp section to him for testing and it was performing to spec. I've 'sort of' solved the problem by adding +10db in my receiver and another +10 via an old equalizer that I put in-between the amp and the sub. However, this works out really badly at higher volume levels and I'm always having to adjust the equalizer to different values. I wish these subs had more sensitive auto on/off circuitry, or the ability to bypass the auto-off feature. I'm a little conflicted about the whole thing, in that Axiom was super good about looking into the problem, but in the end the product doesn't meet my (and apparently your) needs.

#10634 05/07/03 09:44 PM
Guillermo, most receivers can supply more than enough voltage on their sub output to turn on and drive the sub to a very high level. So, unless your receiver for some reason can't supply enough voltage even when, as you've said, you turn up the sub out, it would appear that the problem would be in the sub amp. The "knocking" solution would, of course, also tend to indicate this. Maybe you should speak with Joe again.

#10635 05/08/03 12:06 AM
dwm Offline
buff
buff
I'd thoroughly check (and swap) the cables. If that doens't lead anywhere...

It sounds symptomatic of a cracked trace, cold solder or the like. If you need to have your subwoofer amp's volume set very high for the problem to suddenly cure itself, it's likely a bad connection (trace or solder) in the output stage. A wild guess having not seen or tested it myself :-), I'd say it's a cracked trace (since knocking gently seems to cause it to change). But if replugging the RCA fixes it, I'd be wary of parts that are stressed when you plug in the RCA. Having not torn apart an EP175, I don't know what those might be other than the jacks themselves.

I had a very similar problem in one of my Polk RT2000p's. The subwoofer amp wouldn't kick in until extremely loud volumes at both the input (speaker level) and the output (volume on the subwoofer amp). It was due to a cracked trace, I suspect caused by damage during shipping (since it arrived with a chip in the base plate. Once it came on, it worked fine all the way down to very low levels, it just took loads of potential for it to come on. Any evidence of rough treatment during shipping?

#10636 05/08/03 01:00 AM
aficionado
aficionado
It should be fairly easy to rule out receiver problems with a volt meter, if you have one.

#10637 05/08/03 03:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mine is unsually in slumber only until the lower frequencies are sent to the sub. When I listen to music in lower levels I do not even see the sub light go from amber to green. But the moment I crank up the volume the sub light changes from amber to green. I have my crossover frequency set low to like 60 or even sometimes at 40 for music listening. There are times when I shut off the sub crossover when stereo music listening and the light stays amber all the time. I know this might be a stupid question but is your receiver setting for your sub set to on? Even when amber if you reconnect you wire the sub would change from amber to green when you plug in your sub cable because a signal is detected by the subs amp. You can also bring up your crossover on your sub to like 80Hz or 100Hz. I am not sure the type of music to listen to but most should actuate the sub. Try some church pipe organ music. That definitely goes down to the reaches of 20 something hz. at times.

Saturn

#10638 05/09/03 04:31 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Axiom friends,

I spoke to Joe Vasallo yesterday and, to my surprise, the sub amplifier he sent me is brand new, I thought it was mine repaired. This is very bad news because I am experiencing the same problem as before. What are the odds of this happening?

Joe was very helpful and interested in my problem, so I just sent him back the new amplifier and he will thoroughly test it in his lab.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and hints.

Regards,
Guillermo

#10639 05/10/03 06:17 PM
buff
buff
Dumb question but did you try another cable just in case it's a small break in the solder?

#10640 05/10/03 08:26 PM
Guillermo, Marc's question, on the contrary, is quite perceptive and crossed my mind when I read that Joe had actually sent you a second new amp. The odds of both having the same defect would appear to be extremely low. It's possible that the "knocking" cure was actually vibrating the connector slightly and reconnecting a break, rather than acting on the sub amp itself. When the amp returns, if the problem persists and you have or can borrow any sort of cable with the RCA plugs, give it a try. You could even temporarily use speaker wire to the high level inputs on the sub as a test.

#10641 06/03/03 04:25 AM
Guillermo,

Just checking to see if you found a solution to your problem. I am a new Axiom owner and love the speakers, however I'm experiencing the exact same problems now that you describe with the EP175. I have to turn the volume up high in order for the sub to wake up. Just curious what receiver you are using? I'm using the Pioneer 912, in case it might be the cause of the problem.
I've checked everything mentioned in this thread if anyone else has an idea let me know.

P.S. Thanks for the great service Marc.

Jason

#10642 06/04/03 05:26 AM
Jason, Guillermo may be busy trying to wake up his sub. You say that you've checked everything; besides increasing the sub output level on the 912(good receiver)have you tried using speaker wire to the sub's speaker level inputs instead of coax from the sub out to the line in. Not that this is the best way to connect, but just to bypass the sub output on the 912 to see if somehow it isn't delivering enough voltage(unlikely). Disconnect at the mains and connect them to the sub(of course, set the 912 for no sub so that the bass comes out from the terminals to the mains)with the sub crossover turned all the way up if you don't already have it there. If none of that works, maybe talk with Joe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082