Print Thread
Rate Thread
veritas 2.3 vs.m80 vs psb silver
#10657 05/08/03 02:05 AM
H
hoe Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I like things loud,boomy, filling, and crystal clear. having that said, I have my speaker choices, down to these three. I have heard the energy and the psb, I thought the veritas were unbelievbly clear and fit my requirements with the right sub thrown in the picture. I liked them much more than the psb. I am building for music and movies. now I have not heard the m80 but I have heard the reviews and am impressed by that alone. I am really not concerned with the money, I just want to buy something that I can keep until im deaf. I know this is very broad but any insite would be great on my speaker choices.

Re: veritas 2.3 vs.m80 vs psb silver
#10658 05/08/03 01:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello hoe,

You'd find that the deep bass output of the Axiom M80 would extend deeper than the PSB Silver (a very nice speaker, although pricey) and a bit deeper than the Veritas 2.3. All three would have similar degrees of midrange and upper octave clarity and detail, with the M80 having greater dynamic capability at very high levels because of its six drivers.

During my long stint as a magazine editor in Canada (Sound&Vision), when listening tests were conducted double-blind to speakers at this level of quality and neutrality, as often as not our preferences changed with the musical selection. The speakers were often so similar that we couldn't rank one as "best" so we'd eventually write down something like "similarly good." The differences in scores we recorded for each speaker were statistically insignificant (there might differences of one-tenth of a point out of 10 between the competing speakers).While I never did double-blind tests of these three specific models during the same listening session, I'm familiar enough with the balance of all three that I would predict these results. I have done tests with Veritas, PSB Stratus and Axioms against other brands, however.

Of course, the M80s have a huge price advantage over the other two contenders.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#10659 05/08/03 03:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I like things loud, boomy, filling, and crystal clear.

I understand loud, filling and crystal clear, but you like it "boomy"?

Perhaps you misunderstand this descriptive term: Imagine the sound of a teenager's boombox (as the term suggests) with the bass tone control set at maximum. That is a "boomy" sound -- lots of emphasis on mid/low-bass, often ill-defined and diffuse, not necessarily accompanied by a true extension down to the bottom octaves. A boomy bass often adversely affects the clarity and cleanliness of mids/highs, so a "crystal clear" overall sound would be very difficult to attain in the presence of "boomy" bass. It is almost an oxymoron.

#10660 05/08/03 03:53 PM
H
hoe Offline OP
OP Offline
H
thank you for the reply. It is hard to make a decision without listening to something. I just got rid of my acoustic research 328. and I was pretty happy with them. now I want to take things to the next level, and go for sound quality. I can get the veritas 2.3 for 1500.00 new. I know it is hard for someone to judge what I like, but , price aside, in your opinion which speaker do YOU prefer and why.

#10661 05/08/03 03:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you ran a M22 with one of those SVS, wouldn't you get the clarity and detail of the M22 and the lower trenches of boom from the SVS?
You just need to figure out how much boom you want to not overpower the detail and clarity?. Tried it with some of the wifes music. Toni Braxton has some tracks in which her voice is crystal clear and powerful. Some of her tracks also do have this really deep down slow thumping bass which shakes walls.

Saturn

#10662 05/08/03 04:08 PM
H
hoe Offline OP
OP Offline
H
ture I didnt think of it that way, I was just speaking bluntly. I dont mean boom box. I mean crisp hard, to the point, punchy. I listen to every thing but country and like hard rock. but I will throw on some classic rock or dmb, or classical when I want to relax. I am just trying to get as much insite as possible on the m80 over the veritas 2.3, since my first listen for the m80 will be when they come to my door.

#10663 05/10/03 04:58 PM
buff
buff
I'm not intimate with the PSB speakers but I am with both the M80TiSe and V2.3.
Not a fair comparison whatsoever. The Veritas is a whole different league of performance and engineering.
Like Alan said, big difference in price too though.
If you can get the V2.3 for $1500.00 new, grab'em.

#10664 05/11/03 09:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i had a pair of psb 9ts (not sure of model no)about a year ago,the sound was nice from the psbs but the dual tweeter design seems to give m80s a big advantage when it comes to very loud and clear highs.... and the bass is pretty slammin too.........ron

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 715 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup