Problem
#1066 01/21/02 07:25 PM
A
abcd Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Using various methods, I have assembled a fairly decent system. At least I thought it would sound wonderful, but it is very harsh. I picked up some demo, used and new components as follows:
- Integrated Amp : Creek 4330 Mk2 (demo)
- Turntable : Rega Planar 2 (used, but reconditioned)
- Speakers : Axiom M50 (new)

The stereo gear I replaced was entry level stuff (JVC/Kenwood/Technics/Pioneer), and I was sure of better performance. I was delighted at my finds, but when I set them up.....
The sound is very shrill, with an annoying lack of clarity. Are my speakers a good match for this setup? Should I upgrade to M60's or 80S? Would that cure the problem sound? How much money do I need to spend to make this better!

PLEASE HELP!

Re: Problem
#1067 01/22/02 01:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hmmm...... a couple of thoughts:
1) do you have another source to test with?
2) you mention upgrades to the Rega. Exactly what was done and what is the list of arm/cartridge etc....

I beleive the problem is not speaker related, but need the answers from above to be sure.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1068 01/22/02 01:40 AM
A
abcd Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Yes, I can test with another turntable, the old technics.

The Rega is a Planar 2. The place I bought it from mounted a new Sumiko Blue Point cartridge, put a new belt on it, and cleaned the connectors. The tonearm is a RB300.

Does this help? I will let you know about the other source test.

Thanks!

#1069 01/22/02 03:18 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, let me know about your other test with a different source.

With regards to the Rega, I have a couple of thoughts that centre around the arm - 1 good, 1 bad. First the bad - To properly mount a cartridge, the arm MUST be removed. The proper amount of torque required to secure the cartridge can damage the bearings if the arm is left mounted, and a cartridge is mounted. This is a very delicate area of the table. Find out how they mounted the cartridge, arm on the table, or did they remove the arm.

If they removed the arm, this is the good part. The RB series of arms are decent economy arms, but have no height adjustment. The arm needs spacers to shim to the proper height. If the height is incorrect, the sound can sound muddy or shrill. It can be taken to extremes of either, depending on the height. Since the height is easily adjustable, have them adjust to the proper height, reshim and tighten. You can probably go by marks on the arm, if it is the original. If not, the Rega dealer should be able to determine the right height.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1070 01/22/02 04:06 AM
A
abcd Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Ok, the other turntable does not exhibit the same type of problem. It does sound bad, but the poor high end noise is not there.

I will check with the place I bought the Rega from about the suggestions you made, and the questions you ask.

Thanks and I will let you know!

#1071 01/22/02 12:44 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Just wondered if you have checked the phase. This would be the result of an out of phase channel. Normally it is either at the cartridge connection on the turntable, the speaker wires at the amp, or the speaker wires at the speaker.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
#1072 01/22/02 04:25 PM
A
abcd Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
I spoke with the people who set the turntable up, and they confirmed they removed the arm. They said I should bring it back, and they will look at the arm height.

Luckily they are a very short drive, so I should be able to update everyone today.

Thanks again.

#1073 01/22/02 04:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good stuff. I would also get them to check the oil in the bearings. They should use lightweight oil to make sure they are correctly lubricated

I wish you luck!

Regards,

BBIBH

#1074 01/22/02 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That is a good thought, although it probably is at the turntable cartridge connection. I say this because the other turntable does not have the same problem when tested (assuming I read the post correctly ;) )

ABCD, you might want to check all cables for proper phase connection.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1075 01/22/02 07:58 PM
A
abcd Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
MAGIC!!!!
The height of the arm was out several fractions of an inch, it was adjusted, and it sounds great!

I had the bearings oiled as you suggested as well. We also checked the cables were correct on the arm and cartridge (they were properly connected). I also checked the interconnects and speaker cables, which I managed to get right the first time! ;)

The sound is GREAT! Exactly what I was aiming for!

Thanks for all your help BBIBH, you really came through for me! Are you associated with Axiom?

#1076 01/22/02 08:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Glad to here it was something simple. I have a Rega 3 in an economy midfi setup, along with Axiom AX3's and I had a similar incident. I was lucky, in that I have a couple of systems (1well above this level, and 1 above...kind of a HiFi, MidFi and economy midfi...not to mention many other pieces of equipment) so I could check the source and adjust the arm.

As for Axiom, I own a pair of AX3's as mentioned above. I have met Ian, and toured the factory. I have no other association with Axiom outside of this. I have contacted them twice in the past, and always found them very customer service centric. I required replacement of drivers, and they provided them as per their warranty. The warranty on the older lines was a bit better, as mine states Lifetime.

I guess the question is, my lifetime or the speakers! ;)

Regards,

BBIBH

#1077 01/24/02 11:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Being new to all this, can you explain why this would have an affect?

Thanks

Rick

#1078 01/24/02 11:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sure, a turntable is perhaps one of the most misunderstood pieces in audio. The fact that they are not generally considered part of a new system when someone shops, means they are getting less popular for people to play with. Most people of the age to remember them, do so with either great fondness, or great horror.

Anway to the question: the vertical tracking angle of the cartridge affects harmonic distortion, time distortion , focus and tonal balance. This angle is dependant on the height of the tone arm. Lower the arm, and the sound becomes muddy and booming bass wise. Raise it to high, and the sound will get sharp, shrill and take on screeching treble tomes.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

BBIBH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617