Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Receiver matches speakers??
#106893 08/06/05 01:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
77 Chevy
Sounds like you've got all your ducks in a row.
H/K makes some very nicely featured receivers.
The monster power bar is not really needed, no matter what some saleperson has told you. You would be better served spending that money on a few new CDs or games (you WILL be wanting some new tunes). A simple surge protector power strip is fine. A perfectly good power strip can be found for less than $25.00.
Good Luck

minirock-
For the most part I try to ignore most of what you have to say, but in this case I will tell you that your staement is totally OUT OF LINE, and should NEVER be used on any public forum.
I also think you owe Chevy77 an apology.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#106894 08/06/05 01:45 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Chevy, welcome. As Peter indicated, there's no compatibility problem with the HKs that you've mentioned or similar models from other makers(Denon,Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha etc.). All of them will give you transparent amplification and no "matching" is involved. Pick the features that you want at the best price that you can get.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#106895 08/06/05 02:10 AM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

minirock- For the most part I try to ignore most of what you have to say but in this case I will tell you that your staement is totally OUT OF LINE, and should NEVER be used on any public forum. I also think you owe Chevy77 an apology.

You're right bray. I'm sorry Chevy77; I'm sorry that many of the posts, including the one I quoted, are full of spelling errors, comma splices, and other punctuation errors. BTW, who in the hell is bray? Doesn't matter. I'm sure you do ignore most of what I have to say, but that's ok. Afterall, for some people, ignorance is bliss.And yes, everyone save money by skipping all expensive surge protectors, and just go get the cheap-o powerstrip. You can then use the extra money you saved to buy yourself some crack because that's what you must be on if you think it's going to do the same job.

#106896 08/06/05 02:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Boo! Hiss!

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

#106897 08/06/05 03:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Have you actually listened to all these receivers and done a comparison Minirock? I won't even get into was it blind, double blind, or anything like that if you did. Or, are you just repeating what you have heard elsewhere?

There's nothing wrong with Onkyo. If an Onkyo had better features at the same price as an HK, I'd happily take the Onkyo.

#106898 08/06/05 04:15 AM
devotee
devotee
Yeah. Worked in high-end A/V for 10 years.

#106899 08/06/05 04:57 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Chevy, you will likely get similarly good results from any modern receiver that has the features you want. Make sure it has pre-outs in case you need more power for multichannel HT, IMO.
Maybe upgrade to the VP150 and/or EP500 if you can save on wires/receiver/etc... It seems foolhardy to spend extra bucks on wires, surge protectors and microscopic receiver upgrades when you could simply buy "better" speakers and get clearly audible results.
Seems like TV prices keep plunging. Good time to continue waiting???

#106900 08/07/05 11:49 AM
old hand
old hand
Hello Chevy
I run my Axiom 80's sytems with a denon 885/2105. As far as clean sound is concerned they are crystal clear and very enjoyable.

#106901 08/08/05 06:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Chevy. Welcome. Good luck on figuring this stuff out. It's fun, but it can give you a headache all at the same time.

First, take a deep breath. You're in good hands, and you've already made the hardest decision (and the wisest in my opinion) by putting Axiom's at the top of your list.

I have an M60, VP100, QS8 home theater running through a Yamaha RX-750. It is a lower powered version of the RX-1400, which is the lower powered version of the RX-2400, etc. I never have to turn my volume up anywhere near maximum, and have never worried about hurting my speakers because of clipping issues. I don't find that the Yamaha is too bright. I have friends with better (more expensive, I should say) equipment visit me and comment on the clarity of the Axiom/Yamaha combination.

Many will tell you to think about (1) power and (2) features when it comes to receivers. The rest is icing on the cake. I.e., what feature set do you want? What's your price point? What are your listening tendancies? Do you need separate bass management for different inputs, etc....

I'm not sure if Mini-Rock is right about the difference in solid state amps or not. I haven't dont the research myself to know. But many others, more informed than I, will say that most solid state amps sound identical if not very close to one another, especially when listened to in isolation of the other. That is, while the Yammy and the H/K migth sound different rigth next to each other, when you take them home, the difference may become so indistinguishable to not make a difference.

I went for a price point and a feature set (making sure, of course, that it wasn't grossly underpowered), and I couldn't be happier with the Yammy.

And MiniRock needs to lay off the caffeine today. Too much Star Wars for him lately. I apologize for the rest of us on his behalf.

#106902 08/08/05 06:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi MiniRock......got a question,sir.

You had some less than glowing comments to make about Onkyo.

I have listened to my current issue Onkyo 602 in direct mode, and then in stereo with some very light, though noticable coloration, that was actually quite pleasing and not the least bit objectionable thru my M50s and M3s.

(To me)

So Yup, the recvr section does add a little something to the sound of the amp.

Question: When was the last time you compared Onkyo to the other models you reviewed, and what were the serious flaws that you noted?

(it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if you said" Like five years ago" But, please be honest)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters