Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hello & Thanks.(it's coming together)
#107129 08/15/05 05:58 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>I have found a couple minor finish blemishes in the Axioms that I was kind of surprised to find. It's nothing to serious, but it is a little disappointing to me.

Surprises us too. My experience was "flawless" on A stock and "gee, that little scratch ?" on Factory Outlet stock. There was the time that I had a corner smashed in during shipping but that's different

Give Axiom a buzz and see what they say.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#107130 08/15/05 07:36 AM
_Rick_ Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Bridgman...

I don't think it's anything that would be worthy of phone calls and shipping. I was just expecting maybe a little to much of Axiom. By that I mean I'm comparing the Axioms to other higher priced products I've seen first hand recently. For example the Mordaunt-Shorts I'm considering are clearly built to a very high standard externally. Every edge and corner was finsihed perfectly smooth and clean. Also a friend of mine has a pair of Rockets RS 850 towers and they are simply flawless from top to bottom. I can't say the same for the Axioms, but so far the Axioms sound quality is ok by me and the blemishes really are not serious. A little glue and black marker would fix a couple bad spots I found. I haven't yet really given the Axioms a detailed inspection. I find myself avoiding it because I don't want to find any more things to write home about. For the price I could maybe accept a little give and take from Axioms products.

note:
I was just watching a movie and noticed the VP150 center seemed to be cutting out. It even seemed to kind of pop/snap every few minutes. Like a lose wire maybe? Ofcourse I checked all connections and all are fine. It's late here now so I can't test anymore tonight, but I'll try again tomorrow evening. I think I should maybe test the center on one of the left or right front outputs to see if it reacts the same.

Please folks. I'm not here to dump on Axiom. I'm a VERY patient and understanding fellow, but I am also a very picky guy when it comes to my toys. My HT system is probably going to be a once in a life time thing for me so I want to make sure it's just right for me. I don't want any regrets, I just want a great performing and nice looking HT that will be with me for years to come.

#107131 08/15/05 11:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Rick, in regards to the VP150, by all means do whatever tests you need to do to be sure the problem is with the speaker and not some other part of your system. On rare occasions a bad driver gets through, or a driver can be damaged in shipping without any external indication that damage was done. The experiences I've seen here on the forum have Axiom sending a new driver, if necessary, to the customer overnight. They walk you through the simple replacement themselves.

Nobody will think you're here to "dump on Axiom," Rick. We know what it's like to be disappointed. What we hope to get across is that Axiom does NOT want a disappointed customer. They would rather have you give them a call and explain your disappointment, than have you remain disappointed. All ya gotta do is be polite and courteous, and they will make every effort to resolve the situation to your complete satisfaction. If you're disappointed in the cosmetic flaws, they'll get deflawed. If there is a problem with your center, they'll fix it or provide a new one. You shouldn't hesitate to give them a call.

Obviously, should you prefer the sound of the Mordaunt-Shorts, and wish to return the Axioms, none of this applies. But should you prefer the sound of the Axioms, you need not settle for less than "just right for you." Give 'em a call, be nice, and they'll take care of you.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#107132 08/15/05 01:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I know that this may cause some trouble here, but I really think that my M60 sounded much better after a few days. I don't know if it is my ears or speakers to break in, but that is my experience. Give them some time, and let them play a while before considering a serious listen.

Never heard of Mordaunt-Shorts, how much are they? Comparing both speakers at your home, with your own equipment is the right thing to do!!

And as everybody here says, give Axiom a call if you find any problem with yours. I am sure they will answer all questions and will do their best to solve any problems.

Finally, trust your ears and insticts, and do whatever is best for you. Good luck with your decision and building your home theater!!

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
#107133 08/15/05 02:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>Please folks. I'm not here to dump on Axiom.

Don't worry, none of us are thinking that. Heck, some of the people on the board don't even OWN Axioms any more having traded up to even better (and more expensive) stuff. We're just wondering if your order was beaten up in shipment or something because what you are experiencing is not at all typical of purchases from Axiom. They don't have the white gloves or velvet bags in the order but the product is usually impeccable and build quality is universally regarded as being very high.

I do seriously suggest you give Axiom a call, particularly if one of the speakers is acting up. That does sound to me like it might be an abused shipment...

>>I'm a VERY patient and understanding fellow, but I am also a very picky guy when it comes to my toys.

Welcome to the club

I generally don't buy from the factory outlet because even the tiniest marks bother me in "the last system I plan to buy for a while". We're as surprised as you are by what you are seeing.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#107134 08/16/05 06:10 AM
_Rick_ Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
bridgman / Jack / thyname ...

After evaluating and auditioning the setups I'll take any necessary steps to get things up to par with the Axioms if it comes to that.
All in all I am pleased with the Axioms performance and I still plan on offering a review when the dust settles. For an added bonus I'll be able to offer some insight of the Mordaunt-Shorts I'll have here for a few days.
I got in a little to late tonight so I wasn't able to test the 150, but hopefully I'll get in earlier tomorrow to test.
For now it's time for sleep...

Thanks for the replies fellows...

#107135 08/16/05 12:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Rick, at the risk of belaboring the obvious, if you are still having the VP150 problem, with the volume set at a level which will safely allow you to do so, put your ear right up to each driver to see if the "pop/snap" is in all the drivers, or just one specific driver. If it's in all, then the problem may lie elsewhere, like a speaker wire, or receiver channel (unlikely). If it's in only one, then you'll have the problem localized.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#107136 08/16/05 01:41 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Sir Rick
I may have missed this but could you let us know which model of the Mordaunt-Shorts you are speaking of?
thanks,
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
oz350z (Mordaunt Short package)
#107137 08/17/05 07:00 AM
_Rick_ Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
oz350z...

The Mordaunt Short package contains:

Fronts / 502
Center / 504
Rear / 506
Sides / 506
Sub / 909W <---pass

The package should be here tomorrow early evening. The fellow will be stopping by on his way home.

note:
I called the fellow earlier and told him he didn't need to bring the 909W because there is no chance I'll be sending the new sub back (see bio update). It only took 30 minutes of running through a few scenes of Starwars Phantom Menace (the pod race)-Gone In 60 Seconds (the Eleanor chase) - A couple Holly Cole, Led Zepllin and Yes tracks to know that this is one piece hardware that will be with me til the end...

Ajax (VP150 problem)
#107138 08/17/05 07:30 AM
_Rick_ Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Ajax...

I tried the 150 on both front channels and it perfomed with no problems. It sounded fine. I then hooked it back up to the center channel and it again performed with no problem. hmmm ok everything was fine except me because I was maybe hearing none existant pops/snaps? I was sitting back watching a couple scenes of movies testing out the new sub (see updated bio) and noticed the 150 was just a little bit off center sitting on top of the TV. While Starwars was still playing I was trying to slide the 150 over a little (it's kind of tacky from the weight) and it jerked a little. Yup,,, pop/snap. It must be a simple lose wire to speaker or some other lose connection inside.

Are these units plug type connectors or are they soldered?

I will send off an E-Mail to Axiom service. I wanted to open it up to see what's up, but I'll hang on til I hear back from Axiom...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters