Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Travelling shoes
#107205 08/10/05 11:52 AM
Amie Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
One of my dearest friends is getting married in Rome in September, and as she flew 1400 km or so for my wedding . . . well, you know how these things go. So I'm planning a quick trip over (6 days in Rome, two of which are taken up by the wedding). Has anyone been to Rome? Any advice? I fear I will have to abandon my low-carb lifestyle to try some pizza and and gelato . . . any other must-sees or must-dos? My travelling companion is 79 years old (sounds like a Paul Simon song, doesn't it?) so nothing like 'climb all 8,000 steps' of anything . . . Many thanks!

Re: Travelling shoes
#107206 08/10/05 02:05 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
My wife says, "Don't pass up any opportunities for gelato." She reports the fountains and the Vatican are stunning. Also, "don't feed the pigeons." In addition, "Be careful crossing the street, because everything you've heard about Roman drivers is true, including the mopeds."

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#107207 08/10/05 02:45 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Everything in Rome is to be seen. It sounds silly, but it's true. The city is simply amazing.

And kc is right. Watch out! Scooters are everywhere and they ride the sidewalks.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#107208 08/10/05 02:55 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi Amie!
When I've heard about the Axiom reunion I was very sad because I will not be able to participate...for the last 10 months I was very busy booking my trip to...Italy in September!
My wife Cristina and I will be in Venice(6 to 10),Florence(10 to 17) and...Rome(17 to 21).
So...if I could not meet you at 200Km(?-we live in Whitby,Ontario) from my home, we would be very glad to see you in Rome(we will stay at Hotel "ZEUS", on Via Ricasoli,close to Stazione Termini), for a pizza, a glass of vine and a...gelatto).
Regarding the ...shoes,etc,you know that there are tons of books,guides,internet sites related to Italy, it is impossible to "extract" just a few info for this post!
Hoping to see you in Roma, I wish you a safe and marvellous trip.
Enjoy your time!
Arrivederci!

Octavian

#107209 08/10/05 02:58 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
My wife and I went on a 3 week European trip for our 2nd anniversary in 2003. It was also the last big trip before starting to have children. Well, the trip was really where we were going to start trying to have children Austria is a great place and they have a fertility drink/shooter that works wonders!

Any how back to your question Amy, we spent 2 days in Rome and were just in awe. It is such an incredible city so much history, ruins everywhere and anywhere you went there was something fascinating. Apparently anytime the Romans want to build something as soon as they start digging they find more ruins!

The best thing to do is probably try to get an Italian tour guide. We were on a Contiki bus tour but our guide was not allowed to show us around, we needed to get an official Italian tour guide for our group. The guide we got was great and he brought us around the main heart of Old Rome. This was where the Coliseum was and the main city had all been uncovered to the best of their ability. We got to go see where apparently Julius Caesars body was burned...just amazing. My advice is to do a little research before you go to get an idea of what you want to see and how to get there.

A big warning though, gypsies are everywhere downtown. If you go on the bus, subway or whatever be very careful, keep all bags on your chest and in a good grip.

I will look for my itinerary for more info tonight.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
#107210 08/10/05 03:37 PM
local
local
I would second all the recomendations made: First a guide; The Vatican is a must see for the scale, the architecture, the art; The gypsies are very serious--my wallet was snatched by 2 little girls within an hour, valuables were in a money belt though our 7 year old was shocked to see an adult robbed by children his age right in front of him. Somewhat obscured by the building since the 13th century is the grandeur of old Rome. I didn't fully appreciate it until I saw city after city in the hinterlands of Turkey--each with 5,000-10,000 seat auditoriums and stadiums, some still in use after 1,800 years. Only then did I really start to understand what Rome really was.

Mark
#107211 08/10/05 04:50 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
St Peters, The Vatican, Vatican Museams, Sistine Chapel will take all day but worth it.
The gypsy mothers holding babies suckling at breast distract you while your being fleeced. They are very smooth.
I've been twice and enjoyed it both times. It can be overwhelming. You don't have time to think about all you've seen until you get home.

#107212 08/10/05 05:09 PM
veteran
veteran
Good advice so far. I would add, try to get a hotel right in the center of the city. Most of the big attractions are fairly centrally located, if your hotel is there you can walk to most everything. They also have an underground metro system that I found very easy to use. You can take it to the Vatican, which is THE must see attraction in my opinion. It is very expensive there. And people aren't kidding about the pick pockets, but if you stay aware, you won't have a problem. If something unusual happens, it is probably a ploy to divert your attention. People may spill stuff on you, packs of kids surround you, people stop suddenly in front of you while in heavy pedestrian traffic. I had one attempt made on me the 3 weeks I was there, I knew what was happening right away. 4-5 people came right up to me and held a cardboard sign in my face, they were all talking rapidly like they were trying to sell me something. I pushed the sign away, turned around and walked away. They knew I was onto them, and gave up on me looking for an easier target. You may go all 6 days without anyone trying it on you, but it does happen quite a bit.

#107213 08/10/05 05:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You guys are making me jealous. No Italy for me for a while, more like Disneyworld...

I think the guide is a good idea. A friend also recommended that for a Rome trip, especially if you're time-pressed. But it may also make your travel w/in the city easier.

Pizoni, in Florence, I highly recommend Aqua Del Due. The Steak Balsamico was THE best beef I've ever had.

#107214 08/10/05 06:39 PM
veteran
veteran
Amie,

As everyone said, check out all the historic landmarks. I was just in Rome last fall (around same time) and you definitely need to buy the tour for the Coliseum! It cost like 5-10 extra Euros, but we got to cut in line and the tour guide was VERY good. Without the rour guide the Coliseum would be just another large stadium. He was entertaining and informative.

There are some college students which give FREE tours in St. Peter's Square/Basilica and in the evening to other parts of Roma. Of course they work on tips, but its money well spent and you can leave any time without paying if you dont like em (kinda like Axiom's 30-day policy! )

Beware on the metro, of course for pickpockets as many have stated, but ALSO of the heat and humidity. The metro was torture where everyone is drenched in sweat and lets just say the odor is not pleasing. Wear a lot of cool clothing that allows your skin to breathe and drink LOTS of water. Cotton is BAD since it stays wet, fortunately I brought a bunch of athletic wear which evaportates sweat quickly (Nike Dri-Fit,Adidas, Under Armor). Also, get comfortable shoes since you will have to do a lot of walking. Unfortunately, their metro system isnt as good as Paris since there are a lot of ruins in Roma which can't just be dug out. Definitely get a map for the places you want to see. I don't think anyone mentioned the Spanish Steps...but there are SO many places to see your camera will fill up quickly. I'd say the Vatican (St. Peter's and Museums) and Coliseum were the highlights and you MUST see them. Sistine Chapel was gorgeous (no cameras allowed tho unless you are sneaky ). Don't worry about the carbs for the pizza....they have a really thin crust and its much healthier than the deep dish of grease we eat in the States. Gelati really hits the spot in 90F degree heat with 75% humidity. Don't count carbs cus you will BURN them off walking and enjoying the city!!!

Octavian,

Sounds like a fun, we did the same exact cities last year also. Venice was gorgeous and definitely a unique city. Firenze was cool since we stayed with a local family and got authentic home cooking. You might want to consider a quick trip to Pisa (45mins by train) to check out their leaning tower. 7 days in Fireze is a long time but you might have time to check out neighboring towns/cities. Of course Roma was awesome too.

For the pickpockets, simply place your money/passports in a zipper,velcro, or buttoned pockets. The backpacks we had were almost always locked as well. Always carry your passport and money on yourself. For an entire month in Europe, no one even tried to pick us cus we always were aware and had everything locked up.

So have fun, be careful and LIVE IT UP!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,353 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup