Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Top 5 discs of your favorite genre?
#107527 08/16/05 07:19 PM
aficionado
aficionado
oz, I think you and I would get along very well. For as long as I've been posting to this board, most of the regulars here just nod blankly when I mention Richard Thompson. Picked up "Front Parlour Ballads" yet? Great stuff on the rest of your list, too!

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#107528 08/16/05 07:24 PM
shareholder in the making
<nods blankly>

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#107529 08/16/05 07:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
But it's a California thing with you, though, right?

#107530 08/16/05 07:39 PM
Duuude... that's bogus, man.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#107531 08/16/05 07:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

For as long as I've been posting to this board, most of the regulars here just nod blankly when I mention Richard Thompson.

I find that hard to believe. Looking at these lists I see there is a lot of good taste. I have not picked up Front Parlour Ballads yet. Actually I have not seen it on the shelves. I have heard a couple of cuts on the radio though. He usually comes through Atlanta once a year and I always try to make the show. Have you seen either of his DVD's Live in Austin (Austin City Limits) or Live in Providence? I really want to pick those up.

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#107532 08/16/05 08:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Jazz Standards - Vocals

Ella Fitzgerald
Nat King Cole
Sarah Vaughn
Dinah Washington
Mel Torme
Johnny Hodges
Anita O'Day
June Christie
Ok ok... I am getting carried away!

#107533 08/16/05 09:25 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I lived in Tuscaloosa, Alabama for ten years so I'd always make the trek to Atlanta whenever Richard played the Variety, Smith's, etc. I live in Nashville now so getting to see Richard usually just means getting in the car and driving downtown.

-- Photo from a show in Baton Rouge in '91 here. I'm the nerd in the middle with the sweaty black t-shirt. My hairline's a bit steeper these days.

The "Live in Providence" DVD is a bit of a disappointment, but that's largely due to the setlist. I've lost count of how many times I've seen him play, and the Old Kit Bag tour was kind of a letdown for me for a couple of reasons. I wasn't crazy about Earl Harvin on drums, and Danny's absence made a noticable difference in the band's sound. Plus, it just wasn't the same fire and brimstone vibe that was so much a part of the band's shows throughout the 90's. Having said that, the Providence DVD has great sound and the picture quality is very good. And there are some astonishing moments -- if you want to convert any of your friends to the Cult of RT, cue up the disc to run through tracks 7-9: "Walking on a Wire", "Shoot Out the Lights" and a ferocious version of "Can't Win". In fact, if there's any real criticism to be made, it's that the disc leans so heavily on material from The Old Kit Bag when there were some fantastic older songs in the setlist that could have been preserved for posterity.

The Austin City Limits DVD is another matter entirely. The picture and sound are outstanding (although the acoustic guitar is a little thin -- if you've seen him you know how huge that Lowden sounds), the setlist is outstanding, and the perfomances are stunning. Richard's personality really comes through, and the schizophrenic dichotomy of the differences between his acoustic and electric material is really there. You get the folky RT with lots of nice close-ups of his freakish pick-and-fingers playing style, and then you get the howling, violent plugged-in dynamic.

So which to buy? Both, of course. And the "1,000 Years of Popular Music" DVD is set to be released in October...

"Front Parlour Ballads" has taken a few listens to really grow on me, but now I'm really enjoying it. I loved "Mock Tudor", and I thought "The Old Kit Bag" was very strong. But I wasn't quite prepared for the sparseness or intimacy of FPB. It's EXACTLY what the title sounds like. It's very English, and the guitar playing takes a back seat to the writing. The reason you may not have seen it yet is because it was released last Tuesday. Nice review here.

Glad to find a fellow fan. If you're ever in Nashville, look me up!

#107534 08/16/05 11:02 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I will definitely do that. I always wanted to go to Nashville. Ever since moving to the south I have wanted to go there. I have mentioned going many times to my wife. It's the music history thing for me. Same for you if your ever in Atlanta get in touch.

Thanks for the in detailed reviews of the DVD's. I am very interested in the "1,000 Years of PM" project I would like to see that brought to Atlanta. I will definitely get that and the sound track documentary thing he did when they come out.

I think many people don't really get RT from recordings. As you so perfectly described the live shows is where his brilliance comes across. A lot of the people I have tried to turn on to RT think his music is too depressing. I think it is very real and very passionate but rarely depressing, even when he sings the more tragic material. It takes seeing the live show to see the irony and his way of laughing at himself as he laughs in the face of tragedy.

Over the years I have seen many of the greats and I think RT is probably the most astounding guitar player I have ever seen. Which is another reason a lot of people don't get him. He doesn't show all he can do in the recording studio. I don't know why he doesn't pull out all the stops until he is on stage but he doesn't. I remember seeing him at the Variety here in ATL in the mid 80's. He was solo and when I got the ticket I was kind of disappointed that he didn't have a band with him. Well towards the end of the show he did this cover of a great punk tune for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Maybe a Ramones or the Clash or someone like that. Well he went into the song and it got faster and faster and louder and louder and he was doing that thing where he plays the bass line with his thumb over the top of the fret bar while he finger picks a rhythm and alternates between a lead and a rhythm. Well I realize I standing there with my mouth open thinking this can't all be coming from one guitar, one musician. It got so fast and so loud I thought the roof of the Variety was just going to fly off the building, when he stopped on a dime. There was a momentary silence. I guess everybody thought there was more and he just did that goofy little smile and chuckle and the place went wild with applause. It was the most amazing thing. Ever since then it doesn't matter to me who is joining him on tour I go to see him. The only way to turn someone on to Richard is to take them to a show. Well maybe now DVD will be a close second. As long as they don't cut too much of the between song banter. That is so important to his charm.
oz

#107535 08/17/05 06:30 AM
devotee
devotee
Yngwie Malmsteen - Alchemy

Dream Theater - Awake, for the solos

Anything by Alice In Chains

Steve Vai - 7th Song

Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music

Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation

Radiohead and Tool is "dealing with stress" music

There's just too much to list. I love complex metal guitar, and am always looking for more of it. While this was not expressed primarily throughout my short list, it's what I listen to primarily.

I also have a few songs recorded in Soviet Russia in the 1920s that were used as intro tracks on other CDs. If you think your recordings are not of the best quality, just take a listen to this.

Last edited by Thasp; 08/17/05 06:31 AM.
#107536 08/17/05 05:09 PM
veteran
veteran
I guess my genre would be well recorded music. Since building a "good" stereo system I've found that my musical tastes have changed somewhat. I used to be into Alternative, and Rock almost exclusively, but I find that a lot of that music is poorly recorded and I can't listen to it on my system, it hurts my ears, unless it is just on a background music. So now I like almost anything that is well recorded and has some energy to it. Now there is more jazz in my collection. So here are five albums that I like because I like the music and they are well recorded.

- Peter Gabriel, UP on SACD
- Beck, Sea Change on SACD
- The Yellowjackets, Time Squared - SACD
- Patricia Barber, Cafe Blue - SACD
- Ray Brown, Soular Energy - SACD

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940