Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Audioholics' article on speaker break-in
#108704 08/27/05 04:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ah, the joy of having someone who's older than I on the forum! I noticed, in the "Just How Old Are We" thread, that someone was over 70, so you aren't the eldest either.

Not much to "read" in the links I posted. The examples of optical illusions are kinda fun, and a bit startling. Don't waste your time with the audio illusions unless it's important to you.

To paraphrase the excellent point you are making, and with which I heartily concur, speaker break-in is pretty much irrelevant. We are all going to listen to our speakers for 10 hours, 100 hours, 200, hours, whatever. At the end of that time period, the speakers are going to sound like,..........well,............whatever they are going to sound like, and we're either going to like them or not. It doesn't really matter whether the speakers break-in, or we become acclimated to their sound, the end result is the same.

And, whichever phenomenon takes place, it is wise to ignore (as much as is humanly possible) first impressions, and reserve judgment until you've spent some time listening to the set of speakers in question.

I also agree that with the whole hearing/sound thing being as subjective as it is, we cannot, not should we want to, eliminate the human element. I like what I hear from my system. It pleases me. You could show me graphs and measurements that tell me I SHOULDN'T like them, that I should like something else, and I won't care. I know what I like, and pleases me. Case closed.

LOL! I empathize with your grandkids bugging you. I have a 93 year old with dementia, who asks me the same question every 30 seconds because she can't remember the answer I just gave her. What I want to know is, if they forget the answer, WHY DON'T THEY FORGET THE QUESTION? Sheesh! Our "golden years" weren't supposed to be like this, were they?

By the way, your taking on 4 grandkids at our age, is a noble and generous act, deserving of much praise. Bravo!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: Audioholics' article on speaker break-in
#108705 08/27/05 06:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yup, it appears that we're still kids after all. Frank is the oldest(I see his first car was a 41 Ford convertable; nice ride!) Alan, I believe is in second place, and I think that yet another person chimed in in the sixties.

Went thru the optical illusions....With the Kids...they had a grand time; it was certainly worth the price of admission!

I'd seen most of them thru the years, but it's a valuable refresher and a real eye opener. Lots of fun

The audio section I had not heard before, but had fun with some of those as well, Thanx. I used the earphones instead of the computer speakers and didn't disturb the cartoons on the TV The no.2 kid heard the first tones thru the phones and convinced the others that cartoons were the most valuable past time at that point.

Right now three of the four are outside....hooray!!!

Which unfortunately isn't an easy option with a 93 year old. That can be very frustrating I'm sure, but also very appreciated at some less than obvious level.

And they say "Gold" isn't supposed to tarnish.

Well; one thing has absolutely been determined through this discussion on break-in, and that is that we both(old folks or not)still have the ability to enjoy the tunes just as much as the youngsters; whether it took an extra two or three mintes to arrive at that point is not all that important!

OK little one, you can watch cartoons in your room, Grandpa wants the sound system!!! Come on Grandma, let's boogie!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters